Foglight season is upon us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
He told me that he met only a couple of cars and turned off the fog lights when they approached. Naturally he thought it very unfair and plod had been parked in a spot invisible to him approaching. They used to come over for a weekend now and again, create havoc and then depart with loads of dosh.
They did nothing for respect for the law.

Being an islander - albeit a different one - myself I can confirm that many not on the mainland do extract the urine quite severely and do seem to bleat very loudly when it goes wrong.

The only people that lose respect for the law under such circumstances are road criminals. They're no more or less than exactly that.

And it's the government that departs with the road criminals cash. The dibble get none of it...except from the odd foreign tourist who may fall for the old "on the spot cash fine" wheeze.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Hiding behind a hedge.

Different scenario.
My wildlife pal lives a couple of miles out of town and on a weekend night took his car down to the pub but walked back home. Frequently the local boys saw him walking and gave him a lift. Proactive policing?
Yeah probably, but I don't mind that.

Years ago on Gigha there was a guy who ran us all home from the hotel on an old fergie 135 and trailer. Only problem was, he was blootered as well and we ended up in a ditch. No cops on the island at the time, but that's island life.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Mrs Slick sent me a picture recently of a car that drove off a reasonably straight stretch of road. When she went to speak with the driver, she claimed that during an overtaking maneuver (that she had no right to attempt) she became aware of a driver coming towards her with no lights on.

I remain sceptical

View attachment 712255

Back in my younger days I put my diesel Maestro van through a hedge and did three rolly pollies in a field. Not once did I claim "driving like a twat" to be an appropriate excuse

I did wise up afterwards

I should add that I was lucky in that no one, including me, was hurt, but they could have been. I thought I was within my abilities but I was not. The cost, often to others, of the same lesson can be far worse

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've done that on the A82 on Rannoch moor. It does actually work, you can see a lot more deer, particularly where the road is slightly raised above the surrounding moor.

It didn't strike me as an implausible excuse either. A pal wrote off his car hitting a deer in the highlands. Ge was towing a trailer and not exactly a hooligan either, so avoidance of deer is quite a big thing ooop north

Slick

Guru
It didn't strike me as an implausible excuse either. A pal wrote off his car hitting a deer in the highlands. Ge was towing a trailer and not exactly a hooligan either, so avoidance of deer is quite a big thing ooop north

The best solution to that little problem is to just slow down and be a bit more aware of your surroundings.

Radical I know, but it appears to work for me. :okay:

Slick

Guru
Yes that too, but having more light directed sideways as well seems a sensible additional precaution
All that does is light up the grass verge, as fog lights are so low down.

Slow down and expect the unexpected.

I'm fed up watching beautiful animals running in the field only to see them kicking their last on the road.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
All that does is light up the grass verge, as fog lights are so low down.

Slow down and expect the unexpected.

I'm fed up watching beautiful animals running in the field only to see them kicking their last on the road.

one less to cull, Scotland is overrun with them...

Re driving home from the pub drunk, back in the 70/80's an old boy used to drive back home from the pub at 5-10 mph down a local bridal way. Not strictly legal but I guess he wasn't posing much risk to others. I believe the local bobbie pulled him on it one night.

Top Bottom