Folder on a bus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, just wondering what the regulations on folders on busses are. My friend tried to take her folded bike on an almost empty double decker bus today (operated by Preston Bus), the driver refused to let her on, even though both the buggy spaces and the luggage area at the front were empty. Five minutes later, a minibus (pretty full) operated by Stagecoach arrived and let her and the bike travel no problem. Can they refuse to take a folded folder? We strongly suspect she would have got on if the bike had been in a bin liner or something, i.e. not recognisable as a bike...

Trillian

you're correct with the bin liner plan

perhaps the driver was fairly new and sticking rigidly to the 'no bikes' rule not thinking that a folded up folder didn't count as a bike.

Keith Oates

Janner
Seems a bit harsh if the bike was actually folded. However if put inside a bin liner the driver may not recognise it as a bike but also the risk of getting oil on other people would also be removed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
If it's in a bin liner they might just think it's something a little dodgy and still refuse to let you on, especially if you happen to have brown skin and a beard....

PBancroft

I would be tempted to complain to the bus operator, or at least ask for clarification - they all have their own sets of rules.

Refusing a folder sounds a bit harsh. If the bus co. replies in the positive, make sure to carry the letter when likely to use buses!

Origamist

Legendary Member
punkypossum said:
Hi, just wondering what the regulations on folders on busses are. My friend tried to take her folded bike on an almost empty double decker bus today (operated by Preston Bus), the driver refused to let her on, even though both the buggy spaces and the luggage area at the front were empty. Five minutes later, a minibus (pretty full) operated by Stagecoach arrived and let her and the bike travel no problem. Can they refuse to take a folded folder? We strongly suspect she would have got on if the bike had been in a bin liner or something, i.e. not recognisable as a bike...

Different bus companies have different policies - I'd check on the regulations. However, some drivers don't know jack shoot and say "no" regardless of the rules.

domd1979

Veteran
Though the driver is probably being awkward, he is within his rights to refuse.

Quote from the Conduct of Passengers regs (applies to any bus service):

"BULKY, DANGEROUS AND CUMBERSOME ARTICLES
Anyone who travels on a public service vehicle with any article described below must comply with the directions of the driver, conductor or an inspector in respect of where on the vehicle the article is carried and if requested must remove the article from the vehicle.
Such articles will include those which
(a) are bulky or cumbersome
(;) might be annoying to anyone on the vehicle
(c) might cause injury or danger to anyone on the vehicle
(d) might damage the vehicle or the property of someone on the vehicle"

I've never had any problem yet taking the Brompton on the bus. If there's room, I don't see what the driver's problem is. If its a low floor bus and the low floor area is empty, the you're hardly going to be in anyone's way. On step-entrance vehicles with a luggage rack, shouldn't be a problem either. Does seem mad to accept pushchairs and refuse a folder.

Might be worth writing to the operator though.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I sometimes took my Brompton on a bus. No problem except once the driver told me he "wasn't supposed to take it", but let me anyway. Using a cheap* cover ought to stop that happening.

*the price probably won't make any difference as it happens.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
People sould be rightly up in arms if they were refused whilst pushing a pram (I would be!) so I would say that the same should apply to something that can fold up smaller and less obtrusively.

domd1979

Veteran
Writing to the TC isn't worth it. Technically, the driver and operator have the regulations on their side. Common sense says that if the bus takes pushchairs or people with lots of shopping then there's no problem with a folder so longs as its somewhere out of the gangway. A non-ranty letter to the operator is probably the best starting point.

Nortones2 said:
Write to the operator, copy to the Traffic Commissioner.

domd1979

Veteran
Disagree there. I know that pushchairs cause drivers a great deal of grief. With low floor buses, people have come to expect not to have to fold their pushchair down to board the bus. There are plenty of idiots who attempt to board the bus when the low floor area is full thinking they have the right to board regardless - they don't. I know of instances where pushchair owners have ranted at the driver because a wheelchair user is occupying the space!!! Have also seen people try and board step-entrance buses without having the intelligence to fold the pushchair before trying to get on the bus.

Sh4rkyBloke said:
People sould be rightly up in arms if they were refused whilst pushing a pram

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I think regs put all these things, as to what is allowed on a bus, entirely down to the drivers discretion.

I once had driver refuse me and my Jack Russell as he said; 'Dogs aren't allowed on Buses', the fact remained dogs are allowed on buses but at the drivers descretion.
Something I had the pleasure of pointing out both to him and an inspector
when I met them at the terminus having got on unimpeded on the following bus.

Don't worry I lived near the bus station and was going there anyway;)!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
A former colleague of mine got a p*nct*re half way in to work one morning and was standing a but stop wondering what to do next, when a bus pulled up. So he asked the driver could he take his bike on the bus and was told yes, so long as he pay the fare and stayed with the bike so that he come move it if anyone needed to get passed. It is always worth asking...

Top Bottom