Folding bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxo

Guru
Another passionate Brompton owner here.
It would be the first one I rescue if the garage was on fire. It's such a do-it all machine with great transportability.
I don't find the 16" wheels to be a problem except over very rough surfaces and cobbles, on reasonable tarmac it's pretty effortless. The complexity of changing a rear-tube on a Brompton is also over-stated, it's not so complex, just a short learning step.
Finally, yes you do become part of a community, they engender a certain 'love' with their quirkyness. It's a bit like Apple products, everything is bespoke, but it all works really really well together - bags/accessories etc.

Absolutely agree with all of the above.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've seen comments on here that certain train companies only allow folders that fold smaller than a certain size so I'd check that before you buy.

If you get a Brompton & you're going to take it on express trains I'd get a cover of some sort. You don't want to leave an obvious Brompton in the luggage space at the other end of the carriage. The Brompton cover is about £20 I think & disguises it as a bulky bit of luggage not worth nicking. I expect a large black plastic bag would do a similar job.

OP
OP
J

jokey

Regular
Thanks everyone, I am becoming more convinced that stretching to a Brompton may be the way to go ^_^

One other question, what are they like on hills? It's a bit hilly here on the edge of the Cotswolds, including one short but steepish one on the approach to the train station.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I don't bother either, normally because I'm standing next to it jammed up by the doors. There's normally someone sitting in the luggage rack too. :tongue:

12boy

Guru
Hills are not really an issue if you set up your gearing to accommodate them. I would not get the one nor two speed models if climbing hills is a concern. Serious grades of any considerable length will require something in the 30 gear inch area if not lower, and yet you will want a 70-80 gear inch range for level ground , downhills and tailwinds. Discuss this with the bike shop, they should be familiar with what people use around there.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I was happy living on the side of the Pennines on a standard 3 speed Brommy but I do tend to be a grinder rather than a spinner. If you like to pedal a higher cadence (or really don't like hills ;) ) then a 6 speed or lowered gearing 3 might be a better bet.

Other Brompton consideration is standard or extended seatpost 5'11" and I was at the very top of a standard post with the saddle on the high side of the clip.

Expensive folders do tend to last far longer in your collection than a similar priced roadie for example would, so another factor to persuade you to buy is the VFM over the time you'll have it for.

Brand X

Are you sure you need a folding bike? Check the train routes you are using to see if they permit bicycles, some do. If you do need a folding bike, and you can afford it, I'd go the whole hog and buy a brand spanking new Brompton, but the best cheap option I found was a lightly used Ridgeback folding bike (mine is a Ridgeback Envoy); they look identical to Dahon's because they are Dahon's, just rebadged. Mine was about £130 in near-mint condition.

Kell

Veteran
I have a 6-speed Brompton with the standard ratios. For the most part in London, I only ever use 4,5 and 6. Four to start off, 5 for most pedalling, and 6 with a tailwind or when I'm feeling particularly good.

However, I live in High Wycombe and the train station is in the valley. I only ever use 1st when climbong back out and to the house.

2 and 3 I hardly ever use.

Reactions: mjr

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
With any modern Brompton you can also change the main chainring (without changing chainset) from a standard 50T to 44T which gives a 12% lowered gearing. I ran my S6L like that for quite a while and found the low end suitable for pretty steep climbs and my first tours on it, however, I'm also an old grinder type so pushing a hard gear is natural for me.
For my trip to the Outer Hebrides with full touring kit, I replaced the 44T Chainset with a Stronglight compact double 50/34 (cost about £50) and this will take me up the side of houses. I'll admit I did push the full touring loaded Brompton up a short 25% incline simply because the front wheel was coming off the road .... even with the load! Yes the change from 50T to 34T is manual (actually you can downshift with your heel with practice), even the 34 ring gives a pretty good range for everyday running around as long as you don't want to go fast!

IMG_4608.JPG

OP
OP
J

jokey

Regular
as long as you don't want to go fast!

I'm not fit enough to go fast up hills anyway!

Are you sure you need a folding bike? Check the train routes you are using to see if they permit bicycles, some do

Because I'm not on a mainline, the trains are often only 2 carriages with no space for bikes and GWR only allow you to take a bike if you have pre-booked, as often I can't be sure a meeting will finish on time that would sometimes be hard. Plus, with a folding bike I could take it into buildings. I don't really want to cart around a lock good enough to be confident it will protect my current bike in many cities.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I toured on my M6L with standard gearing. I would have liked a lower bottom gear for Ventoux, and top was fine if I was aiming for 30+ mph. I've now got a 44/34 compact on there, for 12 with a stupidly low bottom gear!

Top Bottom