Folding bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My 3 speed started off with the 54t chainring, when my commute was very flat. When I pedalled the crank off it my commute had changed to include a short 12% plus drag, so I went with. 50t which still involves a bit of out of saddle honking.
I do like FFs idea of a compact manual change chainring if I was ever to tour etc on it.

doginabag

I have a Brompton, an S6L which I have had for a couple of months now. I had a Tern for a couple of years before that.
Always got on well with the Tern, fantastic when riding for the most part, despite parts randomly snapping and trying to kill me.

Build quality was awful, components were cheap. The fold was very quick but not as compact as the brompton. Wasn't very good at staying folded and always had to keep a bungee cord with me to strap it up to a hand rail in the vestibule on a train while having to keep a constant eye on it when pulling into a station to make sure no one tried walking off with it.

The new Dahon fold could tempt me back if I was convinced it was built well.

The Brompton fits in the void between seat backs.

The Tern rode more like a real bike, with the brompton you definitely know you are on something tiny, but there is fun with that. The Tern was faster.

Having recently ridden the tern again for the first time in two months I realised it didn't really feel like riding a real bike, but instead more like riding a drunk giraffe.

Both have their own good point and their quirks, but I don't regret getting the Brompton. Sold the Tern.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah, the double-fold of the Brompton does seem much easier to handle, from those I've tried, plus I feel a bit more confident that steel may bend if overstressed, whereas I keep suspecting that my rebadged Dahon will crack and the first I'll know is when it falls apart. :eek:

Just a quick mention: I've been thinking that I'll look at Decathlon's shop brand B'Twin Tilt when I need a new folding bike, as it comes with hub gears and it sounded like they'd cured some problems with the fold that got them a bad name.

MarkF

Guru
Just a quick mention: I've been thinking that I'll look at Decathlon's shop brand B'Twin Tilt when I need a new folding bike, as it comes with hub gears and it sounded like they'd cured some problems with the fold that got them a bad name.

What problem? I am always on the look out fr one of these local. I sold my Dahon Speed 7and wish I hadn't, keep having to borrow MrsF's rebadged Dahon, a Philips Boardwalk.

mjr

What problem? I am always on the look out fr one of these local. I sold my Dahon Speed 7and wish I hadn't, keep having to borrow MrsF's rebadged Dahon, a Philips Boardwalk.
I think its owner said that the fold started refusing to lock in the open position. It was replaced under warranty with a later model.

simongt

Guru
Two of the main advantages of a Brompton are that when folded, the mucky drive train is uniquely on the INSIDE of the fold, so no grease / muck on you or your clothes. And secondly, nearly all the rail companys in the country accept folded Bromptons as hand luggage, which is not so with many other folders.
Also Bromptons have been around for a long time and only incorporate design changes when there's a good reason to do so. :thumbsup:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
And secondly, nearly all the rail companys in the country accept folded Bromptons as hand luggage, which is not so with many other folders.
Also Bromptons have been around for a long time and only incorporate design changes when there's a good reason to do so. :thumbsup:

How do they know if its a Brompton or not if its in a bag?

The gear change still feels like it was sourced at Poundland and the clamps should really have been replaced with QR types found on cheaper makes. All a bit difficult to stomach on a 1k bike.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
How do they know if its a Brompton or not if its in a bag?
Because anything else will be in a far larger bag?
The gear change still feels like it was sourced at Poundland and the clamps should really have been replaced with QR types found on cheaper makes. All a bit difficult to stomach on a 1k bike.
The clamps and gear levers work. I'd sooner have stuff I know will work, rather than things which I know will eventually fail. Especially since when they fail, chances are I won't be able to replace them. I've heard too many tales of supposedly better folding bikes that have broken and been unable to be fixed,because the parts aren't available or the maker has stopped importing them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure the train companies don't have a 'Bromptonometer' measuring device.

I would expect that any upgrade would be backed by Brompton after exhaustive testing.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I would expect that any upgrade would be backed by Brompton after exhaustive testing.
That's what he's saying, with a Brompton you get that comfort, as spare parts are plentiful and upgrades always retrofittable. You can't guarantee that with some of the lesser brands.

Bromptonometer = arsey guard.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In which case any improvement would have their backing. I really do get the whole Brompton thing but I just wish it would look like you've spent all that money. Even the Brompton label is a sticker. Couldn't they just give it more of an air of quality? That's my point.

Kell

Veteran
I think there's certainly some truth in that people (that haven't tried to buy one) think Bromptons are less expensive than they are.

But they're by no means the most expensive folders out there.

mjr

The clamps and gear levers work. I'd sooner have stuff I know will work, rather than things which I know will eventually fail. Especially since when they fail, chances are I won't be able to replace them. I've heard too many tales of supposedly better folding bikes that have broken and been unable to be fixed,because the parts aren't available or the maker has stopped importing them.
Clamps fair enough, but gear levers? My rebadged Dahon seems happy with an ordinary gear lever (SL-TY-30) and I'm pretty sure the original was generic (if a slightly daft choice that got trapped in the fold easily).

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yeah, the double-fold of the Brompton does seem much easier to handle, from those I've tried, plus I feel a bit more confident that steel may bend if overstressed, whereas I keep suspecting that my rebadged Dahon will crack and the first I'll know is when it falls apart. :eek:

They appear to have renamed the Tilt to Hoptown now. I spotted a tilt shape with Hoptown name yesterday in the new Decathlon near work.

I was very interested in a Tilt when they 1st came out, it was not so much the fold but the alarming amount of flex through the hinge under Braking. I tried a few and spoke at length with the staff and they agreed when trying it themselves it was not a good sensation and effectively meant that you had to have a handful of rear brake pulled on before going anywhere near the front.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom