Folding bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Are you sure? I couldn't see a Hoptown with hub gears when I looked.
It was a derailleur version but definitely Tilt shape and Hoptown on the frame

OP
OP
J

jokey

Regular
So I went to the bike shop today to have a look and came back with this..

20161022_124842.jpg

a lovely new M6L ^_^

Had a couple of quick goes on it and it is very different to my road bike, but I reckon it will be fun!

Going to take a little while until I can fold it in 15 seconds though.

Oxo

Guru
Had a couple of quick goes on it and it is very different to my road bike, but I reckon it will be fun!

It will certainly put a smile on your face, so what other justification do you need. You'll crack the fold in no time at all, give or take 15 seconds.

simon.r

Person

View attachment 148752

a lovely new M6L ^_^

Nothing like a good impulse buy is there?!

My 83 year old Father has an old (20 ish years) Brompton and has been hankering after a new one for at least 2 years. He could quite easily afford it, but balks at the idea of spending £1,000 ish. I just wish he'd go and buy what he wants and get some pleasure out of it.

Fair play to you!

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
the clamps should really have been replaced with QR types found on cheaper makes
All our bikes - ten of them - have had the quick releases changed for security skewers / solid axles for the same reason Brompton don't use them; we don't trust them. :thumbsdown: Trainwise, I don't use a bag for my Brommy; it's too much of a faff taking it in & out of the bag when I'll be hurling / riding it within minutes of alighting the train anyway. :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

View attachment 148752

a lovely new M6L ^_^

Good choice.

You can believe all you've read in your thread, Bromptons are versatile, sturdy bikes capable of everything from nipping around the corner to loaded touring.

Front bags are the best way to carry some luggage, the weight there dampens the steering a bit which is no bad thing.

You will need an attachment block, Brommie bags are expensive - even by Brompton standards - but there are cheaper options.

Worth having a look at the saddle position on yours, it looks a long way forward and may be outside the suggested safe tolerance marks on the saddle rails.

A cm or two further back is unlikely to make much difference to the riding position unless you are very fussy, and it would prevent any possibility of the rails bending.

Worth keeping the box if you have space in the loft to store it, just in case you want to 'send it on ahead' one day.

12boy

Guru
The front block is a very good idea since you will find a little weight in the front will improve the ride. I think the Brompton front end luggage setup is extremely well thought out and practical. I like 2-way SPD pedals, ergo grips and stubby bar ends myself, and my saddle is all the way back. Many on this forum prefer leather saddles in spite of the weight, but all that can wait because she's good to go right now. That little beauty should serve you well for many years to come.

Kell

Veteran
I don't know what it is about Brompton, but every bike I've seen from them comes with the saddle mounted that far forward - including the one I hired.

In fact on the hired one, I had to buy a security torx key to move it back as it was far too upright.

Top Bottom