Folding bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jokey

Regular
The Brommie is all set up with a new luggage block and C Bag, all ready for my first official trip to a meeting in London tomorrow!

I am thinking of changing the rear reflector for an LED light, but it seems really low - is the rear light visible enough or is putting one higher up better?

Kell

Veteran
I left my reflector alone and went with a seatpost mounted light.

Depends on your seatpost though, mine is the extended one, so doesn't go all the way down leaving just enough room to put a light on there and not foul the fold in any way.

I did see a one that fixes to the botton of the seat the other day, but only on specific versions...

http://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompto...rompton-cateye-saddle-mounted-rear-light.html

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Brommie is all set up with a new luggage block and C Bag, all ready for my first official trip to a meeting in London tomorrow!

I am thinking of changing the rear reflector for an LED light, but it seems really low - is the rear light visible enough or is putting one higher up better?
How did it go?

Reactions: mjr

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Aren't you supposed to have a front and rear reflector by law? Maybe they only needs to be fitted on a new bike. Although if you don't I guess the police aren't going to put you in the same category as the Krays.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Wheel reflectors are not legally required if the bike has reflective wall tyres.

Strictly, every bike should have pedal reflectors, but that's widely ignored by the many cyclists who use clipless.

It may be bike makers get away with it by not supplying pedals with roadie bikes, or if they do, they supply cheapo platforms that do have reflectors.

OP
OP
J

jokey

Regular
How did it go?

It was great! Most of my journey could be done around/through Hyde Park, Green Park and St James' Park, which meant I didn't have to deal with London traffic too much.

Aren't you supposed to have a front and rear reflector by law?
The Brompton rear LED light also has a reflector, so you replace the reflector with a light and reflector.

Kell

Veteran
Hyde Park eh?

If you see a fat bloke on a lime green Brompton with riser bars and bar ends, give me a wave... :hello:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

Trelock do a nice integrated reflector and non flashing LED unit that is very good and works fine for being seen from behind (no rack on my Brom)

12boy

Guru
You can now buy a 500 Lumen USB rechargeable light for less than my 140 and 240 lumens lights cost a few years ago. I use both of mine together and they do the job, so 500 would be better still. Get to work, recharge and you are good for a long ride home in the dark.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've got one on the rack and another on the top of the seat post.
With the cost of LED lights, there's no good reason not to have more than one.

Top Bottom