Folding Bike Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockhart04

Hello,

I am currently a third year student at Queens University Belfast studying Mechanical Engineering. This year we have been given the group project to research, design and manufacture a folding bike. As market research I have created a small survey (10 questions) to gain some knowledge on what some people think on their folding bicycles. Please do not hesitate to take the survey if you do not own a folding bicycle, just answer what you would be looking for if you were to purchase one!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2WZJBB6

Many Thanks,
Craig

Slioch

Guru
Done. But I don't own a folder. It's what I would want if I were to get one.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Question 5. You limit yourself tremendously by asking which of 2 very similar mechanisms we prefer. How much research have you done into the variety of different folding bikes and their methods? Thinking particularly Birdy, Mezzo type that do not feel the need to hinge the main structural tube of the bike to achieve an adequately compact package esp vs Dahon.

Dig beyond what you can see on the High Street and you maybe won't come up with yet another unimaginative Brompton derivative (not a criticism of Brompton I own one and am very taken with it, along with my other folders)

There is a fundamental problem with this survey. You are asking people to chose between solutions rather than problems they need solved. Don't ask people to design a bike for you; ask them what they need, then design a bike that addresses those needs.

Eg.
Wrong question: Do you think a basket or rack would be useful?
Right question: What do you want to be able to carry on the bike?

If they answer "my handbag, and a few items of shopping", then you might decide that a basket is the right thing. If they answered "A 15 inch laptop, suit, dress shoes, shirt, underwear and washbag", then a rack+ panniers or rack top bag might be right. Or you can think outside the box (assuming Brompton didn't exist) and come up with a front mounted bag as the best answer for both problems.

Wrong question: What is an appropriate wheel size for the urban commuter?
Right question: How large can the folded size be?

Assuming there is no difficulty finding tyres, generally a larger wheel == better ride. So find out how small the users need the folded package to be, then make the best cycle you can fitting in with the dimensions. I'd vote 16" because - assuming you use 349 wheels - tyres are easy to source. But if you could design something that folded as small as a Brompton, with 20" wheels that would be a better bicycle.

Top Bottom