Folding Umbrella

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Don't Rolls Royce still include a "free" umbrella (hidden in a discreet location) you buy one of their cars?

And on that note, I got a freebie umbrella from BMW when they were providing transport for London 2012 and it's easily the finest umbrella I've ever owned and it stands up to all sorts of weather - the only downside is it's a bit large to use when walking the dog.

That's just your experience though.

You got me: I have a sideline in hat assisted remote granny mugging, but only in Glasgow.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
According to a chap down my local pub the best 'brolly' one can buy is a Fulton.
https://www.aspinaloflondon.com/pro...WDvEixHTvSQJFOuXZ_IaApd2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
He has one and brought it in one night(i'm guessing because it was raining outside :whistle:) and showed me how to fold it after use. It's not quite how you'd fold a 'cheap' umbrella. There's a knack to it!:cuppa:

Edit...However,expensive doesn't mean you can't loose it! I'll stick to my old faithful Sports Direct Slazenger fiver one. I've had it for around 12 years now. I've left it behind in shops,hospitals,pubs,bus shelters etc,but it's always there when i go back for it.:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Edit...However,expensive doesn't mean you can't loose it! I'll stick to my old faithful Sports Direct Slazenger fiver one. I've had it for around 12 years now. I've left it behind in shops,hospitals,pubs,bus shelters etc,but it's always there when i go back for it.:smile:

Of course it is.

Thanks for that link Accy, another fantastic website, could spend quite a bit on there after my lottery win. I baulked at the cost but then read a bit more:-

• Shaft Length: 36 inches / Canopy Span: 42 inches / No. of Spokes: 8
  • Handmade in Italy
  • Walking length long design
  • Waterproof Italian woven fabric
  • Automatic spring-loaded opening
  • Telescopic metal shaft
  • Eight spokes
  • Maple wood crooked handle
  • Silver plated handle collar
  • Laser engraved signature branding

I bought a full sized good one in Ovideo years ago when it was hosing down, can't remember what it cost, certainly not Aspinal's prices but enough for me to take care of it so it's still like new today. A lessson..............

tyred

Legendary Member
I've found this thread very interesting. My cheapo umbrella has seen good service but has been well used and most of the spokes have been broken or bent and then strengthened with stiff wire and insulating tape. It's all a bit out of shape now and an embarrassment to be honest although it still keeps the rain off. I hadn't bought a new one as I just felt they all end up the same way at the slightest hint of wind. I hadn't realised there were better quality umbrellas as I've only ever seen cheap ones in shops.

I walk the two miles across town each day to work and back again each day and generally walk everywhere I go in town. I figure that with the money I saved on petrol by not driving to work for the past three years I can afford a decent umbrella. I may splash out on a Fulton.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't have an umbrella.

:ohmy: You poor, impoverished child.:ohmy:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I don't have an umbrella.
A couple of years ago I was in town on a nice summer's day, when the skies suddenly darkened and the rain came down. Heavy rain. I was coatless, so I dived into a nearby Poundland and bought one of their folding brollies. Used it to get to the bus stop and a short walk once I got off the bus. Then I threw it away. Worth a quid though. It kept me dry when I needed it to.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is this a cycle forum?

Has nobody suggested a good old fashioned cycle cape?
I'm a big fan of capes (but don't wear them near big fans, else you may blow into the next county) but unless you are sure your destination has a proper cloakroom or similar, they are less practical for walking than a good umbrella. Plus, I've yet to figure out how to secure a damp cape to a parked bike so the inside isn't wet by my return, which makes donning it depressing.

The Samsonite Rain Pro suggested above turns inside out at 65kph according to a test. Not good enough for around here. https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-umbrella-uk

I'm currently using a non folding double canopy golf umbrella, but what's the best way to carry a 1.2m x ø 0.1m pole on a bike?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They're all designed to be blown inside out. It's a design feature to prevent the fabric causing the frame to seperate from it. The better made ones will remain intact.
And talking about better made ones James Smith is the only place to go shopping for an umbrella in London. Unchanged for more than a hundred years. Just a short walk from Tottenham Court Rd station:
;
1605095356162.png

1605095445514.png

sheddy

Legendary Member
A Brompton shirley ?

Well it seems that the Royal Brompton Hospital charity has their own brolleys for sale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom