Folding Umbrella

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm confused @vickster. I'm hearing that it's okay to be female and ask for toothpaste recommendations but it's not okay to be male and ask for umbrella recommendations. Have you got a list of what recommendations the men on here can ask for? :wacko:
He asked where not what...I know where to buy toothpaste ;)
Isn’t it fairly well known which shops might sell a quality umbrella? (The same places that sell other quality accessories and goods. He already knows Asda and Poundland don’t sell items to his exacting standards)

sheddy

Legendary Member

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Of course I can find folding umbrellas, I've looked at some this afternoon and they were garbage. Stand out garbage in Poundland or better packaged, hiding garbage, in Asda.

If I ever manage to kill my Samsonite one I will buy a replacement right away. I have had it for the best part of 20 years. the nearest one to it now is the Larger Rain Pro.

I have good one, bought in Oviedo many years ago, that's full size but a decent folder/compact is needed for the dog walks, those Samsonites look good, plenty of reviews too, cheers.:okay:

Considering the cheapest folding one is £40 I don't think it's exorbitant. The OP was asking for quality, but he is in Yorkshire :smile:
The shop is really a treat, like stepping back s couple of centuries. If you're ever in London it's worth a visit.

£40 is fine by me for something that'll last a bit and not feel cheap/manky, what a great place that looks, but @Milkfloat has personal experience and that swings it.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
He asked where not what...I know where to buy toothpaste ;)
Isn’t it fairly well known which shops might sell a quality umbrella? (The same places that sell other quality accessories and goods. He already knows Asda and Poundland don’t sell items to his exacting standards)
Nah, it's not that simple nowadays, with branding and re-branding, 25 years ago I'd have expected to be able to go M&S and buy one, now I'd expect theirs to be overpriced but well packaged tat.

icowden

Veteran
Maybe just me, but I think the OP is after:
  • A compact umbrella (i.e. the umbrella folds compact, not just closes)
  • An umbrella of a good size rather than just covering a tiny part of a humans head
  • An umbrella that is going to be hard wearing and completely waterproof
A lot of them are utterly terrible.

That said this might be a good starting point:
https://www.t3.com/features/best-umbrella

another roundup here of just compact umbrellas:
https://www.tripsavvy.com/best-travel-umbrellas-4154703#

and here:
https://www.roadaffair.com/best-travel-umbrellas/

The Repel WIndproof with Teflon coating seems to be winning the lists. Available on Amazon and in shops (probably).

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
A lot of them are utterly terrible.

The Repel WIndproof with Teflon coating seems to be winning the lists. Available on Amazon and in shops (probably).

Exactly, I want to shop for a dog walking umbrella just the once....

I was actually looking at the Repel Windpoof as the Samsonite Traveller appears to be out of stock.

Dave7

Legendary Member
You need a golf brolley.
A folding golf brolley. Now that would be interesting :rolleyes:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Nah, it's not that simple nowadays, with branding and re-branding, 25 years ago I'd have expected to be able to go M&S and buy one, now I'd expect theirs to be overpriced but well packaged tat.
My thoughts as well.
I don't shop at Selfridges, Harvey Nicks or John Lewis but imagine lots of there products are re-branded tat that you can buy elsewhere. Walk through any M&S store and feel/scrunch the material on their clothing, its rubbish.

vickster

Legendary Member
My thoughts as well.
I don't shop at Selfridges, Harvey Nicks or John Lewis but imagine lots of there products are re-branded tat that you can buy elsewhere. Walk through any M&S store and feel/scrunch the material on their clothing, its rubbish.
No. They mostly sell the actual brands

Eg https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/men/mens-umbrellas/umbrellas/_/N-2tuoZ1z1418x

Is there no hunting shooting fishing type shop in Harrogate for example? Like Orvis

https://stores.orvis.com/uk/yorkshire-and-the-humber/orvis-company-store-u-k-harrogate

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
So having had that interminable kettle thread do we really need another one where the OP wants to show how he can afford to pay a high price for a day to day item?

Ah yes, I rremember you mocking cost, saying there was no difference in kettles, when there clearly is/was. ^_^ I've paid about £18 for my new brolly, take away garbage brolly value, that's about a whopping £13 difference, I am sure I'll appreciate it.:okay:

I'm predicting a "I need a fancy, overpriced toilet brush, where can I buy one?" thread in the near future.

You'll be dissappointed then, wouldn't have one in the house, not even a Louis Vuitton one.

Top Bottom