Fond memories of touring Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
A fantastic site, have been lurking for a while and reading amazing LEJOG and other accounts and was reminded of my Ireland tour I did in the early 90s.
'Pics or it didn't happen'.... sadly I have none. My exgf has that album, or rather she had it. She probably burnt it when I married her best mate not long afterwards.

Anyway, there was a Scandinavian ferry from Swansea to Cork. That seemed an adventure in itself, a huge vessel that went through rough seas. I was only used to cross channel ferries, so this was most exciting. I especially liked the swimming pool, down near the bottom of the ship where everything smelled of oil.

Arrived in Cork and made our way to Blarney to kiss the stone, then headed west expecting to find a campsite. Finding none we knocked on a door at Macroom and asked about camping and ended up camping in someone's garden. Got a cooked breakfast in the morning too, which helped us on our way over the hills to Killarney where we stopped at the Youth Hostel for a couple of days. From there we explored the local area and Dingle, before heading for the Ring of Kerry.

The highlight was catching the Knight's Town ferry (a wooden boat) to Valentia Island, where houses had peat stacked up to burn, instead of logs. Felt like we'd got back in time 100 years. Again we knocked on a door to ask directions for camping and this time we were put up for the night in a spare bedroom! I still remember the smell of peat smoke in the air when we left the next morning. Wonderful place, utterly charming.
I've since heard that its character is gradually changing for the worse as locals get displaced by people with money moving in. Shame if that's true.

Back to Killarney youth hostel for the night, and then what seemed like an almighty 'leg' back to Kinsale where we actually stayed in a pukka campsite. Had our last night in a pub enjoying the stout, then back to the Cork ferry the next day and home.

Wish I had photos, but instead of dwelling on the past I should really plan my next tour. Like many people I had a large gap in cycling once I started working, but now in my 40s I've started cycling again. Have done a couple of London to Brightons (one at night), so I'm keen to join "the Fridays" next year to see how my legs get on.

Ultimately I'd like to go and tour France for a few days, but would probably start with something close to home. Just need to persuade my better half that she can looks after the kids without my help!

classic33

Leg End Member
Ireland is trying to get up to the same speed as the rest of europe, and has lost a lot by doing so.

You mention turf(peat), still there, although bord na mona logs are more popular these days. Spent many a day on the bog. Cutting, turning, footing and bagging. The tramming is all but gone, replaced by baling and silage.

The ferry you mention was broken up some years ago, having operated in Indian waters for a few years.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sounds like I'd be disappointed by the changes if I went back. A shame, the price of "progress"?
The quiet backroads are still there and the older people haven't changed.
The only way you'd know if you'd be dissappointed or not, would be to go. Get away from the cities though.

I loved the smell of a turf fire, and my grandparents used to get one annual delivery that was huge when I was a child, but my father would have cut it and stacked it when he was younger.
You never went to the bog and spent a day there. You're making me feel old now!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My Dad would take me walking up there, and I remember getting pretty wet one time when I fell in, and my aunt scolding him on our return, but I only had to go and fill the bucket from the turf shed!

Durian

Über Member
I did a very similar route to you and absolutely loved the area, Valentia Island was definitely a highlight and amazing to think that as you looked out across the ocean the next land was America. There was a superb restaurant in the main town on Valentia Island that was also an art gallery. We made our way back to Cork via Skibereen. This trip was done in May 1994 and I remember that it rained for about two minutes in our seven day trip. We started off knocking the Guinness back but quickly converted to the wonderful Murphy's stout. Great pubs, stunning scenery, very quiet roads and lovely people. I have also thought about going back and doing a similar trip but have decided that I will leave the memories as they were and not be disappointed in what I might find this time around. Anyway there's plenty more of Ireland for me to discover.

pawl

Legendary Member
The quiet backroads are still there and the older people haven't changed.
The only way you'd know if you'd be dissappointed or not, would be to go. Get away from the cities though.

If you have to spend the day at the bog see your GP or take dioralight.Other ant ematics are available.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you have to spend the day at the bog see your GP or take dioralight.Other ant ematics are available.
You should give it a try sometime. Means cycling over to the West though. Then you'd know what it feels like.

classic33

Leg End Member
I did a very similar route to you and absolutely loved the area, Valentia Island was definitely a highlight and amazing to think that as you looked out across the ocean the next land was America. There was a superb restaurant in the main town on Valentia Island that was also an art gallery. We made our way back to Cork via Skibereen. This trip was done in May 1994 and I remember that it rained for about two minutes in our seven day trip. We started off knocking the Guinness back but quickly converted to the wonderful Murphy's stout. Great pubs, stunning scenery, very quiet roads and lovely people. I have also thought about going back and doing a similar trip but have decided that I will leave the memories as they were and not be disappointed in what I might find this time around. Anyway there's plenty more of Ireland for me to discover.
http://www.yazsan.net/pedalpower/aw.html

Memories you can keep, along with new ones you make. Pictures may fade, names be forgotten, but memories will always remain.

Durian

Über Member

Memories you can keep, along with new ones you make. Pictures may fade, names be forgotten, but memories will always remain.

That sounds like an interesting book, like many of us I like to read about other peoples experiences on the road with a bicycle. Japan to Ireland for a Guinness, that's brilliant!

I will certainly never forget my Ireland trip.

tyred

Legendary Member
I knew an old man used to dip the crown of his trilby in Jeyes Fluid before going to the bog to prevent midget attack:okay:

Don't know if it worked but I'm sure he was popular in the pub later.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Speak for yourself - I've got a terrible memory these days ... It is very embarrassing having someone come on one of my forum rides and chat to me as if I am an old mate, and all the time I am wondering who they are, only to find out that I had chatted to them for 2 hours on a similar ride the previous year! :whistle::blush:

(My excuse is that I have met so many CycleChat members now that it is hard to remember them until I have met them 3 or 4 times.)

classic33

Leg End Member
Speak for yourself - I've got a terrible memory these days ... It is very embarrassing having someone come on one of my forum rides and chat to me as if I am an old mate, and all the time I am wondering who they are, only to find out that I had chatted to them for 2 hours on a similar ride the previous year! :whistle::blush:

(My excuse is that I have met so many CycleChat members now that it is hard to remember them until I have met them 3 or 4 times.)
I did say names be forgotten. You'll know what it was like on the rides though.

Top Bottom