Food on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Fig rolls are good, although I find they can be a bit cloying if your mouth is dry. Nutri-Grain fruit bars are my go-to; a bit softer to eat, individually wrapped and a good shape for jersey pockets. Mini pork pies for some salt replenishment.

Fig rolls are good, although I find they can be a bit cloying if your mouth is dry. Nutri-Grain fruit bars are my go-to; a bit softer to eat, individually wrapped and a good shape for jersey pockets. Mini pork pies for some salt replenishment.
yep Lidl fig rolls are good - i once peered at the nutritional info and it did seem pretty decent to non-medical me.
I do always have a slight concern that they might accelerate my guts and necessitate a mid-ride toilet stop though - I try to avoid - don't know if folks have any views/info on this.
Nutri-grain bars are terrible things I fear - expensive and too sugary - they were somewhat in in an office I worked in years ago - they sent a message I think that you were so busy/efficient/needed that you didn't have time for mere prole things like eating breakfast.

Debade

Über Member
Peanut butter and Marmite sandwiches are my mainstay for cycling.

But strangely enough, they tend not to be sold ready made in shops. I've never been able to figure out why not.
I can't speak for Marmite (something I have not acquired a taste) but restaurants/takeout putting a price on a peanut butter sandwich would seem to be a near impossibility. Even though people buy the Pbutter and bread, I think they see it as a nearly free sandwich.

Nebulous

Guru
Prepare to get fed up of food very quickly and want a change. On an audax people will eat sweet stuff initially, but quickly tire and move to more savoury, or a mix.

Cereal bars are a good alternative to energy bars, and cheaper - but the companies seem to be under pressure to reduce calories, which is the opposite of what you need. Buy a mix, the same flavour quickly becomes wearisome. I sometimes drink flavoured milk at breaks, I like strawberry, but a lot of people go for chocolate. Also drinkable flavoured yoghurt. Crisps, nuts etc help to replace salt.

A common complaint on long rides is gastric distress. Your body prioritises your muscles for the available blood supply and your digestion rebels. That can present for me as a slightly sick feeling and a feeling I don’t want to eat. One of the few things that always works then is eggs, preferably scrambled on toast. That means finding a cafe prepared to make it for you, but especially in cold weather I find it extremely motivating to get some hot food.

I bought a musette in a yellow hi viz colour for a long ride and it was remarkably handy to carry stuff I needed immediately to hand and to carry food. I used it all the way round, but don’t recollect seeing anyone else with one.

OP
OP
A

alchurch

Prepare to get fed up of food very quickly and want a change. On an audax people will eat sweet stuff initially, but quickly tire and move to more savoury, or a mix.

Thanks, yes I do get fed up with the same. I usually ride with half strength energy bottle and an electrolyte bottle of different flavour. I get sick of sweet/I have grabbed a pot of cottage cheese, yoghurt or just milk If I could find sliced fruit I think I would opt for that, tasty but not good value for money

OP
OP
A

alchurch

I made my own bars once, but they were too nutty and dry. They needed washing down with something which probably meant I was not chewing them properly

Top Bottom