Food on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm not that fond of sweet stuff so I tend to stick to ham rolls, and the occasional bit of shortbread. A four finger Kit Kat is handy when flagging on the home straight.

OP
OP
A

alchurch

I'm not that fond of sweet stuff so I tend to stick to ham rolls, and the occasional bit of shortbread. A four finger Kit Kat is handy when flagging on the home straight.
I could not eat many shortbreads, and I doubt the kitkat would be very filling, but it sure sounds like a nice reward for a hard ride

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Peanut butter is another choice but not as popular outside of the States.
Peanut butter and Marmite sandwiches are my mainstay for cycling.

But strangely enough, they tend not to be sold ready made in shops. I've never been able to figure out why not.

freiston

Veteran
Personally, I would want a bit more stash-space than pockets, but saying that, if you're well fuelled up at the beginning and you're doing 25 miles per day, you're not going to need much topping up on the move. A lot depends on what you're fuelling up with at the start and finish of each day - you need to make sure you're getting a decent dose of protein each day so if your breakfasts and evening meals are protein-light, eat more cheese, nuts and meat during the day. Otherwise, something with carbs and sugar will give you an energy boost and keep you going. Flapjack is a favourite of mine for this - a mixture of carbs, sugar and fat. Carbs (including sugar) and protein have about 4 calories per gram and fats have about 9 calories per gram. If you put a sweet drink into your bidons and have starchy snacks such as flapjack, bread-based or cake, you should have no problems keeping the energy levels up. I like a salty snack too especially in hot weather - salted nuts for protein and fat, crisps for carbs. I have a weak spot for "Indian snacks" - samosas, bhajis, pakora.

Truth is that when you've been riding a bike and are hungry, almost anything tastes really good ^_^

My homemade flapjack with nuts and raisins in it is about 455 calories per 100g (and a piece is about the same). A large lunchbox type container can hold a 16 piece batch but this weighs in at about 1.6 kg!. If I'm doing an "overnighter", I like to take a small container with about 6 pieces - that will keep me topped up and help compensate if my main meals don't meet expectations, especially if I can't find anything to buy on route.

fan of malt loaf (soreen) can be bought as individual bars to be crammed in face and corners of pockets
i just take full loaves of it and tear off what I need - takes pretty much no space as can be squashed into pretty much any shape of space. Always puts me in mind of those plastics explosives scenes I remembe as a kid - Mission Impossible?

Last edited:
Another sausage roll / pork pie fan here, if I can get them. ^_^

I usually keep some Clif bars in my bag for emergency food / bonk medicine, they keep for a long time and don't suffer too badly if bashed about. They're only just over a pound each in Morrisons, the peanut butter ones and the white choc macadamia ones are actually pretty palatable. The best "energy bar" in my view.
it's very easy and far cheaper to make your own bars - and yes peanut butter is a key ingredient. I used to use various bars, Jordans etc, but found that they didn't have enough "oomph".

I usually tour with an overflow bag, the minimalist 15l duffel/daysac that my Paramo jacket came in. Takes no space or weight and good for crushables.
My red ortlieb 15 litre bag is my energy pack on top of the rack on longer rides - contains all the food and coffee making gear I need. Prefer not to go in places/shop en route - takes time, a faff, plus I reckon the faff would put me off and I'd be inclined to keep going - then bonk. If you use malto powder in your bottles (and carry more malto for top-ups) you can cut down on the amount of other food you need to carry.

For a sugar-boost treat, Lidl wine gums.

OP
OP
A

alchurch

Here is my set up for jogle.handle bar bag,rain gear and evening stuff.bar bag, battery phone cables, route, wallet and muchies, seat post bag, change of cycling clothes, toiletries, tools, and some food.electrolyte and energy powder.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
A

alchurch

it's very easy and far cheaper to make your own bars - and yes peanut butter is a key ingredient. I used to use various bars, Jordans etc, but found that they didn't have enough "oomph".
I have tried making my own, got sick of them after a short while, too nutty and chewy

I have tried making my own, got sick of them after a short while, too nutty and chewy
simple enough to change the recipe - I used to use a recipe with measured quantities of stuff* but now just chuck stuff together - you are really just sticking stuff together, not really "cooking".
* includes oats (lots) syrup or honey as the binder, peanut butter, dried fruit, bit of flour, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, bit of salt, chopped nuts, - I can ride all day on mine if I choose to - its designed to be a mix of fast and slow release energy.

Top Bottom