Food on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you done much cycling before ? Surely you've eaten away from home ?
We normally stop for Cake and coffee or take an energy bar with us.

OP
OP
A

alchurch

Just be careful eating pure sugar (sweets) without some long acting carbs as you'll get an insulin spike that will drop you into a low afterwards.

How far are you riding each day ?
it will be either 75 or 100 miles depending on where I can find accommodation . On jogle I had a coffee and cake stop in the morning, and a soup and roll stop in the afternoon.I tended to drink a lot of milk, with yoghurt or cottage cheese using the lid as a spoon

OP
OP
A

alchurch

If you're not going too fast, then a bit of whatever you fancy.

If you're going to be pushing on or there are some steep hills, then carbs/sugars - raisins, sushi (depending on the calibre of convenience store you come across!), I've always found Lucozade sport works well, marzipan if you can stomach it, LoveHearts have the highest percentage sugar of most sweets out there and don't gum up my digestion like Haribo or jelly babies.

Either way, what I would probably do is fill up during the stops and then just drink fluids for the next 25 miles, it's only going to be a few hours even if you're taking it easy. Unless you're racing or have a deadline for getting home there's probably not so much need for eating on the bike in a 25 mile chunk.
I have not seen love hearts for about 50 years, I had forgotten about them.

OP
OP
A

alchurch

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am very grateful. I will make a list and have a good selection from the items you have all suggested

OP
OP
A

alchurch

A plastic spork and a swiss army knife/multitool can deal with most things inc tough plastic wrappers, opening cans yogourt , cheese spread, foil packets of pate.
I will have a seat post bag stuffed with spare cycling gear and evening wear/toiletries bag so need to be careful with crushable stuff and extras, yes plastic cutlery set makes good sense

OP
OP
A

alchurch

They're actually quite refreshing on the bike, bit of a zing, although it helps to wash them down with a bit of water. It's one step removed from just putting sugar in your water bottle, which I also highly recommend!
Jelly babies were the rage with the local triathletes at one time

roley poley

Über Member
fan of malt loaf (soreen) can be bought as individual bars to be crammed in face and corners of pockets

presta

Guru
I eat sandwiches, followed by biscuits, nuts, and occasionally sausage rolls/pork pies/pasties, but not whilst the bike is moving.

Twilkes

Guru
Just be careful eating pure sugar (sweets) without some long acting carbs as you'll get an insulin spike that will drop you into a low afterward.

If the intensity is high enough or there are some big climbs then that's generally not a problem, the sugar gets used up before you can get into an insulin swing scenario. For a 'relaxed touring' day though yeah you'll need a balance, and my big mistake on long days is forgetting to eat my usual meals. There were some 8 hour days when I ate less than I would have had I been in the office!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Another sausage roll / pork pie fan here, if I can get them. ^_^

I usually keep some Clif bars in my bag for emergency food / bonk medicine, they keep for a long time and don't suffer too badly if bashed about. They're only just over a pound each in Morrisons, the peanut butter ones and the white choc macadamia ones are actually pretty palatable. The best "energy bar" in my view.

Top Bottom