Food on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alchurch

I am planning 2 short credit card tours for next year.North Wales to home, and Lands end to home.4-5 days each day is
broken down into 25 mile blocks with a cafe ,pub or convenience store at the end of each block.
I know this sounds a really stupid question, with no definite answer but...
I need to buy food from a store that is ready to eat and can be stuffed into pockets.Would anyone like to share their favourite "real food"munchies? Bread or rolls would be too dry, tins, out of the question

alex_cycles

Veteran
Nuts and raisins give you quite a lot of nutrition for relatively low volume and easy to have a few at a time while riding.
Fig rolls (if you like them) quite good calorific value.

Twilkes

Guru
If you're not going too fast, then a bit of whatever you fancy.

If you're going to be pushing on or there are some steep hills, then carbs/sugars - raisins, sushi (depending on the calibre of convenience store you come across!), I've always found Lucozade sport works well, marzipan if you can stomach it, LoveHearts have the highest percentage sugar of most sweets out there and don't gum up my digestion like Haribo or jelly babies.

Either way, what I would probably do is fill up during the stops and then just drink fluids for the next 25 miles, it's only going to be a few hours even if you're taking it easy. Unless you're racing or have a deadline for getting home there's probably not so much need for eating on the bike in a 25 mile chunk.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If it’s only 25 miles between cafes you won’t need to carry much more than emergency bonk rations. A milkshake is something you can get in a shop for a quick calorie top up. The wraps are also good for stashing in a pocket.
picnic eggs work well. But i usually have a seat bag on bike to put such things. I’m rarely in such a rush I can’t stop at a nice viewpoint and have a snack for a few mins.

Keep some emergency food stashed for when the shops are closed; a couple of energy bars, trail mix or similar can get you where you need to be.
For carry along snacks, pies, pasties, flapjacks, fig rolls, bananas ( speckled not green) oranges, carton fruit juice. Rye bread may travel better than white , with cheese slices . It comes down to whatever you can get at a village Spar.

OP
OP
A

alchurch

Keep some emergency food stashed for when the shops are closed; a couple of energy bars, trail mix or similar can get you where you need to be.
For carry along snacks, pies, pasties, flapjacks, fig rolls, bananas ( speckled not green) oranges, carton fruit juice. Rye bread may travel better than white , with cheese slices . It comes down to whatever you can get at a village Spar.
Thanks, there is a good selection there

Top Bottom