Foot numbness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Friend of mine has just taken up cycling in his 50s has built up to 20mile plus rides on a carbon Genesis delta 10 road bike and is enjoying it but has a problem with foot numbness.

He is on flat pedals and trainers so its not clip related. seat is about right height.

I am lending him a Selle Max Flow SLR saddle to see if I could be his saddle nipping a nerve possibly.

If that doesn't work I don't know what else to suggest ?

gbb

Legendary Member
I found when I started some serious cycling I was getting cramps or numbness around the base of my foot /toes. I quickly realised I was bunching, too tense in my toes, not relaxing.
I had to almost force myself not to but It did work for me.

One possibility for you ?

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Its quite possible that he is tensing up as he is still a bit nervous out on the road.
I found when I started some serious cycling I was getting cramps or numbness around the base of my foot /toes. I quickly realised I was bunching, too tense in my toes, not relaxing.
I had to almost force myself not to but It did work for me.

One possibility for you ?

Reactions: gbb

lazybloke

Considering a new username
@Banjo -- does he have cold toes or fingers? There's a small chance it's a circulatory problem , possibly exacerbated/triggered by cold, eg Reynaud's disease.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What is the pain like? If it seems like pressure on the soles, they could try pedals with larger platforms. Vavert commuter/leisure pedals are fairly widely available.

The trainers bit would bother me - get some proper kit for the job. If he doesn't wasn't to go clip less at least get some touring cycling shoes...

Top Bottom