Foot tingling and numbness sensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Strange one here.

I'm getting numbness and tingling in my right foot about 7-8 miles into my rides. I ride long distances ok, but with the aforementioned affliction. At first I thought it might be cleat position with my SPD shoes, or relating to the shoe fit being too narrow for my foot because it was always the right foot that gets it. Switching bikes and shoes to a bike with flat pedals and wearing standard trainers or slip on loafers with a soft sole still results in the same old tingly numbness, not quite pins and needles but sort of similar.

Tingling seems to be relieved by shifting my foot around the pedals and shifting position in the saddle but it always returns eventually as I get back into my natural position. I seem to notice it more on a climb or during efforts. This happens regardless of sitting on a comfy brooks saddle, or the stock Giant racing saddle on my 2014 Defy. Adjusting saddle height hasn't helped on either of my two bikes. Has anyone experienced similar? Any thoughts?

I happen to have just ordered a charge spoon saddle, but that's unrelated, it's to replace my tired stock road bike saddle which is ripped and rough round the edges and keeps wearing holes my expensive bib shorts. I'll report back on that saddle, but given that neither my comfy Brooks B17 or the stock saddle are better than the other, I'm not holding my breath. I'm convinced the problem lies elsewhere but can't work it out.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Morton’s neuroma? See a podiatrist

Levo-Lon

Guru
May be the old saddle?
I get a lot less hassel with a hard narrow perch.

Never heard of mortons so a insole may work,a custom fit one can be bloody expensive.
I looked into it with plantar fascia ,quoted £300 !!!
Calf muscle in the end...physio fixed it

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
[QUOTE 5316115, member: 45"]That's down to the pressure being focused on the ball of your foot. I'm not sure why the saddle would make a difference. Soft-soled shoes won't fix it as you need to get the pressure spread across your foot. You need stiff soles with good insoles that meet your foot at the right places. I'd either try the BG insoles (I think they're about £20 and they'll measure your foot to make sure you get the right instep height) or get a proper fitting for your shoes.[/QUOTE]
Regarding saddles, I was just trying to cover all bases ;)
There's no Specialized stores near me, I'd have to take a train to Harrogate. Does anyone know who does proper shoe fittings in and around Leeds, West Yorkshire? Any of the bigger cycling chains?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Regarding saddles, I was just trying to cover all bases ;)
There's no Specialized stores near me, I'd have to take a train to Harrogate. Does anyone know who does proper shoe fittings in and around Leeds, West Yorkshire? Any of the bigger cycling chains?
You’d need a cycle fitter, find one who is also a Physio, might not be your shoes directly but a muscle tightness or imbalance somewhere.

Harrogate is hardly a great distance by train from Leeds. Nor a huge ride?

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
You’d need a cycle fitter. Harrogate is hardly a great distance by train from Leeds. Nor a huge ride?
Nope! But living in Leeds, I'd hope to just pop 10 minutes down the road somewhere local, but a good excuse to get out on the bike to Harrogate ;)

If a cycle fitter/physio will do, I know Woodrups are rated well locally. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

gaijintendo

Veteran
I used to ride an old Peugeot that was the wrong size, had cattle grid pedals and and unadjustable seat.

I turned up at the doctor's after months of numbness. He said it's what he sees at the prison - handcuffs put pressures on a nerves, and the effect lasts way longer than you might expect.

I fixed it by wearing harder soled shoes, then having the bike nicked off me.

My point being, if I need one, is don't expect the results immediately. Change one thing and try it for a while, if unsuccessful and then try something else.

Last edited:

Trigger369

Über Member
I had numbness in my both feet around the toes . I had a bike fit done and havnt had no more numb feet . I did have my saddle changed and adjusted and did have cleats moved and of the shelf insoles fitted

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes I had this at beginning of my road cycling life because as a former mountain biker I wasn't used to pedalling for prolonged periods of time. Either my feet got used to it or the Specialized BG insoles I bought sorted it. They are expensive but good.

Top Bottom