Football World Cup - Russia 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Have been thinking the same @Smokin Joe

Yeah, you'll inevitably get some snoresome games, but in the main, they've been very watchable for one reason or another, right from the group stage. Usually it takes till the quarter finals for things to get interesting.

My stand-out games were Argentina v Croatia, Belgium v Japan, Brazil v Belgium and Colombia v England. Could've chosen more than those four.

The semis and final didn't disappoint either. As far as the final is concerned, I think this is the highest scoring game since 1986. The last two were decided by a single goal.
I have to say that I really haven't missed the Americas since they got eliminated - it seemed to change the style of play in a positive way. There just seemed to be so much more football per game.....

I have to say that I really haven't missed the Americas since they got eliminated - it seemed to change the style of play in a positive way. There just seemed to be so much more football per game.....

Very much so. The theatrics were just ridiculous. IMHO the best game for pure football was Belgium v Japan.

But it was lovely to see Argentina beaten so comprehensively, and well, the Colombia v England game - well, that was just *wibble*

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've seen every World Cup since 1966 and this has been by far the best. Normally they can be quite dull affairs with few stand out games, but this one excelled all the way through.
Absolutely. Fantastic final, and a fitting conclusion to what's been by a margin the best World Cup I can remember. Great games, loads of goals, and matches won by teams playing good football. Not prima donnas. And in the end the trophy almost certainly went to the right team. The team who played the best football. Which is as it should be. Top, top tournament. Ginger beers all round.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’m on holiday in Nice, about 500 metres from the Promenade des Anglais. The atmosphere has been electric for the last six hours. An experience in itself. Very noisy, excited well behaved crowds. Even the riot police are smiling and anyone who’s seen those boys will know that’s rare!!

36966823_10156611687486095_7917469715629342720_n.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
Kronenbourg called it right, with this rather snazzy can (although the premium bit makes me laugh because I bought this from B&M).

Great final, great tournament. Thoroughly enjoyed all of it. And I have the added excitement of seeing what return I have from my £2 stake in the office sweepstake with Belgium coming third. Probably 10p.

IMG_20180716_071152.jpg
IMG_20180716_071138.jpg

Top Bottom