For the roadies that snigger at my shimano 2200.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

The two makes of shifter don't have the thumb triggers in the same place.

I don't know about 2200 but I know that Sora brakes are less than brilliant. I'm unfortunate enough to have the 09 calipers on my new bike. I got on the best bike with Dura-ace today after riding the commuter all week and nearly went over the bars. The difference is increadable.

I think the shifters for Campag Xenon (which is no long available) used to be cheaper than Sora.

ST3400PAC;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

NewsImageBig_73965200831047.jpg

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Your right redbike,they are not in the same place.By the way the 2200 is just the renamed 8spd sora from i think 07/08 when sora moved up to 9spd.This makes me chuckle when folks say 2200 is even lower end than sora.
Those campy shifters do look very comfy.
Simon

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Ahh, **** the gears. Just get a fixed and have some decent brake levers on.
Wont have anyone snigger at your groupset then.

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Im like you joe,content with what i have,i think for some its the show off factor more than owt else.As for me i will upgrade when i know i have got the absolute maximum out of the bike and myself but im like that with other hobbies/interests too.I have no axe to grind with people who want and can afford to have nicer bikes,but i can't be doing with the snobs.Chatting to a guy on my ride today on a ridley excalibur,absolute beauty it was but the chat was about the ride.weather,destination etc,not who had the best kit.I have a lot of time for genuine folk.

Simon

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Nice one johnny,i nearly got the defy 4 myself but got the Claud butler san remo mainly because i have had mostly clauds in the past and my current commuter is the cb legend,had it 3 years and done 2500 miles with no new parts needed apart from brake pads,and also my long serving lbs is a cb dealer too.Like i said in the other post,good luck with your upcoming centuries.

Simon

col

Legendary Member
My tourer has sora shifters and they are the easiest thing to change with that Iv found. Im very pleased with mine and intend keeping them a long time yet.

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Great Col,glad your happy with yours too,most of the negative comments usually come from people who have not used them,i mean if people have used them and don't like them for whatever reason then fair enough but they tend to just see that they are bottom end of the range and therefore must be complete tosh.Tell me,if shimano dumped 2200 and sora overnight then tiagra and ultegra would then be the bottom of the shimano range therefore they would become a complete dogs dinner overnight right??:smile:

Simon

col

Legendary Member
simongrant said:
Great Col,glad your happy with yours too,most of the negative comments usually come from people who have not used them,i mean if people have used them and don't like them for whatever reason then fair enough but they tend to just see that they are bottom end of the range and therefore must be complete tosh.Tell me,if shimano dumped 2200 and sora overnight then tiagra and ultegra would then be the bottom of the shimano range therefore they would become a complete dogs dinner overnight right??:smile:

Simon

Thats right, I seem to remember sora being a big thing years ago, it had me very interested but out of my price range at the time.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
My old 105 8 speed was better built than my new 105 10sp. Hell the Acera set on my MTB sometimes shifts better than the 105

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

leoc said:
I've got 07/08 Sora and can reach the thumb button on the drops. Am I a freak?

I must be a freak too then,i don't do it often from the drops but if i have too i can manage it.:ohmy: What i have also found is that when i use the shifters,either the button or the lever the chain moves on the cassette either up or down and its easier or harder to pedal.For a while i though this was only available on the more expensive shimano groupsets.:biggrin:

Simon

Top Bottom