For the roadies that snigger at my shimano 2200.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
leoc said:
I've got 07/08 Sora and can reach the thumb button on the drops. Am I a freak?

;)

I couldn't manage it, personally - at the time I bought my bike I rode from the drops a lot, and that was a large part of the reason for me going for a Tiagra equipped bike (SCR2 as opposed to SCR3 at the time I bought).

Since my last off, I ride a lot more on the hoods, and would probably find Sora less of a faff than I did initially.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
On my main bike, it never seems to change gear:wacko: Im pretty confused by it, i dont know what to do with it. It just sits in one gear, no matter how hard i push the brake levers:wacko:
What am i doing wrong:wacko:
Image074_1.jpg

Sorry, crappy camera phone pics.

Infact, i seem to get comments about this bike aswell, apparently ive lost something:wacko: Not really sure what though.
Image062-1.jpg

Sorry, can you tell im bored

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Your TT bike is sweet,is it a bit of photographic trickery or is the front wheel smaller?If so is this the norm on TT bikes,sorry im not well up on em.;)

Simon

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
simongrant said:
Your TT bike is sweet,is it a bit of photographic trickery or is the front wheel smaller?If so is this the norm on TT bikes,sorry im not well up on em.;)

Simon

Its got a 650c front wheel and a 700 back wheel.
Its not really the norm, they normally just have 700c front and back.
Im wanting a quill stem for it, but its a long stem thats on it and i havent found a new one thats long enough, and i dont know if i can get a second hand one that not too expensive but has no scratched.

The chain is fine, doesnt really look slack in that picture.
You know you can ride with a slightly slack chain dont you? It doesnt have to be perfectly tight.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Joe24 said:
The chain is fine, doesnt really look slack in that picture.
You know you can ride with a slightly slack chain dont you? It doesnt have to be perfectly tight.

Wooooooosh :angry:;)

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Thanks for clarifying that joe,i thought a trip to specsavers might have been needed for a minute.It really is sweet.I thought about putting smaller wheels on the front on my bikes because someone once told me you will always be going slightly downhill:laugh:;):laugh:

Simon

peanut

jimboalee said:
Everyone sniggers at 2200/Sora.

1/ You have difficulty using the 'thumb trigger' when you're riding on the drops.

Totally useless for serious raceboys.

'serious race boys' Jimbo change gear from the hoods as much as the drops, its actually easier from the hoods ;)

yenrod

>For the roadies that snigger at my shimano 2200.

Ive got Tiagra shifters yet I can still go quick...

Its not the gear and if you do snigger at lesser decked out bikes you are a sadder individual !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yenrod

On the last few rides ive been on theirs been some bloke on the chainy on a real heap - yet he can still keep up !

jimboalee

peanut said:
'serious race boys' Jimbo change gear from the hoods as much as the drops, its actually easier from the hoods :biggrin:

The reason why STI was designed is so you can change gear without taking your hands off the bars.

In a fast moving bunch or trying to close a gap with your hands on the drops in the 'tuck' position, do you want to piss about with the thumb shifter on Sora?

peanut

jimboalee said:
The reason why STI was designed is so you can change gear without taking your hands off the bars.

In a fast moving bunch or trying to close a gap with your hands on the drops in the 'tuck' position, do you want to piss about with the thumb shifter on Sora?

I thought you were referring generally to all Sti Jimbo .:ohmy:

Actually I recently upgraded my winter hack from 8spd Sora to 9spd Sora I could have used any Sti but prefer Sora because its more comfortable for my big hands but then i don't race and I never use the drops.:biggrin:

I'm another who could change gear from the drops with Sora, and I don't have huge hands, am not double-jointed or a contortionist, so Sora worked fine in that respect for me.

And it's true that STI's were indeed invented so you could change gear from the bars, rather than having to go to a downtube shifter....

...which you can with Sora, so I don't see why budget-concious racers couldn't use it, even though the marketing dept at Shimano do push it as their leisure groupset.

8sp Sora did involve pretty large sweeps of the lever to change down though, so was perhaps slower going that way, but was plenty fast enough changing up using the thumb-lever.

I did replace it. on what has become my Winter bike/commuter, but it wasn't because of the thumb-lever or shifting quality.
Instead, for me I found the hoods a really uncomfortable shape, rather a strain on that web between thumb and forefinger - fine in bad weather when wearing thick padded gloves, but not good in light mitts.

I replaced them with 2nd-hand 9sp Ultegra and these are more comfortable and have the same shift mechanism as the 10sp Ultegra on my 'best' bike (so avoiding the fumbling for gears in the first 1/4 mile when I used to forget which bike I was riding...).

But (shock !) I think the actual shifting of 8sp 3300 Sora was just as good as 9sp 6510 Ultegra.

Neither is a patch on 10sp 6600 Ultegra, both are quite a lot slower, neither anything like as click-click instant gear change, both involve a much longer sweep to change down : but the Ultegra is a bit shorter sweep and is consequently heavier, particularly on the left, front changer.

Top Bottom