For Those of A Certain Age...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
...who began club cycling in the sixties or seventies and will remember "King Alf" (Who's he? asks the younger ones), a controversial character rarely off the pages of Cycling magazine and the only rider who could attract a crowd of spectators to an early morning time trial -

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1874739811?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Looks like an interesting read, I've ordered a copy.

midlife

Guru
Yup, I'm of a certain age, I'll stick it on my Xmas list :smile:

Rocky

Hello decadence
He's a great lad....I used to do triathlons with him back in the late 1980s. We were members of the same swimming club. I met up with him a few years back in Finchley - he was looking fit. I think now he spends his time fishing.

I've still got one of his Unity CC cycling tops - it's a wee bit too tight for me though.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
He was on his way to what would have been a competition record 48 minute twenty five sometime in the seventies when the police stopped him for speeding. He was clocked riding down a slip road onto a dual carriageway at 50mph, got fined five quid in court and a years suspension from the RTTC.

Darius_Jedburgh

Looking for the lost chord.
I remember writing incident reports to RTTC.
It very much depended on the report as to a ban being given out. If we liked the guy we could slant a report differently to if we didn't like him. Naughty, of course.

But head down riding into the back of a parked car was 6 months ban automatically.

Sharky

Guru
But head down riding into the back of a parked car was 6 months ban automatically.
I rode an event on one of the J courses, starting about 10 minutes after a rider who did just that. The penalty he received was substantially greater than just 6 mths.

Darius_Jedburgh

Looking for the lost chord.
I rode an event on one of the J courses, starting about 10 minutes after a rider who did just that. The penalty he received was substantially greater than just 6 mths.
Oh yes. 6 months was a minimum. That was 6 competitive months. So could be almost 12 calendar months.
All depended on the circumstances.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The E31 course on the Southend road had a few like that, including one poor guy who buried himself in the back of a milkfloat.

For all the crashes that are a regular occurrence in road racing time trials have always had a far higher fatal accident rate. Mixing it with motor vehicles on NSL dual carriageways took it's toll over the years.

Top Bottom