For Those of A Certain Age...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As a teenager in the early 70's riding around my area, Alf was still present and I used to see him quite a bit riding around Finchley and Barnet. he always had the wild look in his eyes.
I saw him some years back at the East Finchley Pheonix cinema doing a talk about his cycling career. Very illuminating.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
...who began club cycling in the sixties or seventies and will remember "King Alf" (Who's he? asks the younger ones), a controversial character rarely off the pages of Cycling magazine and the only rider who could attract a crowd of spectators to an early morning time trial -

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1874739811?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Looks like an interesting read, I've ordered a copy.

I've just ordered a copy as well.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I will order a copy today, he was one of my heroes when I first joined a cycling club in the '70s. I wonder how fast he would have been with a modern TT bike, and a current day training, diet, fitness etc..

GilesM

Legendary Member
The last time I rode the E72 on the A12 in Essex I vowed I'd never go near the place again. That was back in the early nineties before it's use was banned and it was a frightening experience.

First TT I rode as a 12 year old was mainly on a NSL Dual Carriageway, not as busy as the A12, but still a bit nuts when I look back on it.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have no interest in RR or TT but strangely enough as I was coming back up the A1 North of Newark one evening last week the memory of TT's on the Southbound carriageway came into my head for some unknown reason around the North Muskham area. Is it still used or has it been banned?

Top Bottom