Forced off the bike by high wind!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Here you go, YouTube to the rescue :smile:

The guy at 0.47 tickles me, I'm pretty certain I'd have given it up as a bad job TBH!

That's the trouble with these fancy superlight carbon fibre bikes, you see. In those conditions you want something made of heavy steel.

OT: How do you post those emoticons not featured on the forum?
Google images and cut and paste :smile:

Never had that, but I have had to pedal downhill a few times.

It was similar conditions to Smokeys vid link, only it was on selected corners descending Mt Ventoux, one minute a tail wind trying to push you down into 3 figures then turning into a x wind trying to send you off the edge of the mountain, scary.

nappadang

Über Member
Today's the wind was silly. The last 7 miles of a 30 miler (decent ride for me) took me nearly 40 mins. I never felt any wind assistance (I probably did get some) and faced really strong head winds on some pretty exposed (and steep) sections.
On the plus side, I feel like I've had a workout.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I got fed up with the wind halfway through my planned ride today and decided to come home. My route home took me along the bottom of the valley, however, which was lovely and still. Ho hum.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It's windy in Denmark today. But worse than that it has gone really cold again. I have had a great week on the Kickbike but we are back into winter.

Steve

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You're right. I stuck it out for a while. Walked for a bit. Certainly not the most enjoyable ride I've ever had.

Forecast is more of the same tomorrow, although I've noticed the wind speed part of the forecast is the least reliable.

Ruthie

Über Member
It started to build up yesterday when I was riding with a friend, who was trying out his new recumbent. He was below hedge level and didn't even notice the wind, but I was really having to fight into the wind by the end of our ride. It really is windy here in the North East today, I don't think I fancy a ride in this. It's such a shame, the sky is blue and the sun is shining, if not for the wind it'd be perfect.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It started to build up yesterday when I was riding with a friend, who was trying out his new recumbent. He was below hedge level and didn't even notice the wind, but I was really having to fight into the wind by the end of our ride. It really is windy here in the North East today, I don't think I fancy a ride in this. It's such a shame, the sky is blue and the sun is shining, if not for the wind it'd be perfect.

Yes, that's why I'm still pratting about on here.

Wind might ease a bit this afternoon, but for me I expect the moment will have passed.

Sheffield wind yesterday didn't seem that bad until..

After a long slog up past Norton Water Tower, down and back up to Manor Top laden with charity shop things, the fast downhill back unladed straight down East Bank Road should have been my reward. Wide, fast, steep....no, it was more pedalling with the occasional side gust just to make it more hairy

I wonder why I decided to stay low and sheltered on the TPT to Rotherham today instead of up any hills....

Boyfrom64

Veteran
I have to say that for about 6 miles during my ride on Sunday I was cycling directly in to a head wind and was lucky if I got above 10 mph; and on more than one occasion I seriously thought about phoning the 4th emergency service but decided not to on the basis that she would probably have told me to stop being a wuss and get on with it!!
Seriously, what tips does anyone have that they can share to help make riding in to a head wind easier?

Octet

Veteran
Why is it that the wind affects you so much that the hill you normally descend at 20mph makes you descend at 13mph,yet going uphill on it the normal 10mph isn't increased to 17mph?

To answer that question you firstly must consider what I like to call the "Double Wind Paradigm" which is essentially a tear in the wind time continuum. It is the same effect which causes you to have a head wind on both legs of your ride.

Top Bottom