Forced off the bike by high wind!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
I'm off work for 4 days this week and was planning to get a few morning rides in - yesterday none starter due to 54 mph gusts, today only 8 mph but icy :sad:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Weird weather yesterday. OH was working nights so we met after I'd finished work for tea. When we went inside at about 630pm weather was fine. Came out at about 730pm a gale had built up.

OH wanted me to leave bike and get the bus home, but as a modern independent woman I obviously was honour bound to do exactly the opposite of what he suggested!

Ride home was interesting. Lots of it is on shared paths that were deserted and I was getting blown about all over the place.
Got off at one section to go across a ped crossing, wind caught the side of the bike, nearly got blown over - could see the driver who'd stopped for me sniggering!
Bit further on I was riding along a fairly busy road, a sudden strong gust blew straight into me head on and I ground to a complete halt! I decided to dismount a this point, lucky I did cos then a side gust came and blew me sideways to the kerb.
A combination of walking and cycling, I got home eventually. Was good fun, but was glad to be home, just still bit perplexed by the complete change in the weather!
So what you are saying is (Women are not always right).:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Glad you got home OK.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've been out on Dartmoor and Exmoor when the wind has been fierce enough to make it difficult to stay on the tarmac. That and lashing rain makes for something that isn't quite fun. The wind hurling lumps of tree at you is another factor (fortunately, the biggest one missed).

Tee hee! On Thursday I had the classic headwind there AND back on my commute!

Multi directional winds, strange phenomenon but quite common round here. They are caused by the Hubble Constant. As the universe expands, it does so in all directions. When I say expands, I dont just mean that galaxies are getting further and further apart, this is just a symptom, but the very vacuum of space itself is expanding. Of-course everything we know occupies some of this space and the air, which is fluid, can sometimes feel the effect of this expansion during specific conditions. The air is literally expanding along with the universe and therefore feels like it is blowing against you which ever your direction of travel. It does not manifest as a tail wind because the universe is expanding, not contracting.

I think that is what happens anyway. Cant think of any other reason for it.

Top Bottom