Ford Streetka and all smallish soft tops. Now considering Chevrolet or Suzuki,instead of Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm toying with the idea of buying one of these for myself and for Accy Junior to use if/when she passes her test. I notice you can pick them up for way less than a thousand quid. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707257721283?make=FORD&model=STREETKA&logcode=p
I think they look very smart and easy to drive. I've checked the insurance out I can get insurance for myself for £280,which isn't bad these days. Have any of you driven or been in one? There's one for sale in a local garage,though they want £1895 for a 2006 model,which i think is too much. I might ask for a test drive though to see how it feels.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Rust, rust, rust. Sills, around the fuel filler, floor, structural members, behind the rear bumper. Not as bad as the earlier models, bit can still be a killer on these.

The engine is an 8v version of the Zetec SE engine. It has only 95bhp or so but in such a light car feels quite peppy. Its reliable and strong, no real vices.

Among the Ford boys the Sportka is considered the spiritual successor to the MKII XR2 in terms of character, and is well regarded. I can't image the Streetka will feel terribly different.

The MOT history on this one seems quite benign, no major nasties observed during the cars life. Its hard to judge from afar, but if that's what you're after its probably worth closer scrutiny.

Check it has something resembling a service history. It was due a cambelt at ten years, so check it had one - its about £300 at a decent independent.

The seller is doing the "trade car" malarkey, but that's a meaningless phrase with no legal weight. Your statutory rights still apply if the engine drops out a week after you buy it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
How much would your daughter pay for insurance on a convertible car.
Also would you want more than 2 seats and tiny boot.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How much would your daughter pay for insurance on a convertible car.
Also would you want more than 2 seats and tiny boot.
I haven't checked out the insurance for her. Maybe it'll be a bit more than my £280?:whistle: I like the idea of 2 seats as there'd most likely only be me(and maybe the little dog) in it. The boot is quite spacious. i'm guessing so because the missing rear seats allow that.

Drago

Legendary Member
Horrible things, I hate driving them and rust and more rust.

Didn't know you were such a fan! :laugh:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I haven't checked out the insurance for her. Maybe it'll be a bit more than my £280?:whistle: I like the idea of 2 seats as there'd most likely only be me(and maybe the little dog) in it. The boot is quite spacious. i'm guessing so because the missing rear seats allow that.

I've just insured son#2 who has passed test at 17. Girls are a bit cheaper but not much. If she is similar age, expect to pay minimum £1,250. Makes no difference if she is main driver with you as additional or other way around.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news

Levo-Lon

Guru
Micra are sound little cars.

Such a hit and miss market the cheap runnaround
It may be great and the first thing to go wrong costs hundreds..

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My mate has been told his 2004 ka won't make it through another MOT due to rust. Seems to be a theme?
We needed another car due to me changing jobs soon, got a 2006 Nissan Micra for £500. It's an automatic and is just like driving a go cart! Great cheap little car.
I had a Micra years ago. It always sailed though the MOT and was cheap(as far as motoring can be)to run. The basic controls and stuff like wind down yourself,not electric windows meant no silly repair bills. On a motorway trying to overtake though,forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom