Forget the past!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
If offerred the chance to forget/lose every memory upto the time of the treatment/proceedure.
Would you take the offer up?

Things you have learned remain, you have just lost the memory of ever learning them. They just appear to come naturally to you.

I'll avoid having a pint of whatever you have had.

ScotiaLass

Guru
No.
Sounds corny and cliché, but my past partly makes me the person I am today

I'm with MadDougBiker on this. Some memories just drag you down if you dwell on them so not having them would be helpful.

Coincidentally, this year I've made a conscious effort to stop myself whenever I start thinking about anything bad that's happened in the past. I'm not going to learn anything new by going over things for the umpteenth time in decades, so what's the point? Nothing wrong with reminiscing about good experiences - and fortunately I have plenty to reminisce about - but infinitely better to think about making the most of the present and the future.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No - you may as well have been dead in the preceding years.

Also - it is bad enough not being able to hold on to your memories as you get older without adding to the process.

Have you had a bad life or something?

sidevalve

Über Member
Sorry to sound old and boring but as you get older the past becomes more important. If you're twenty you might be happy to "start again" but at fifty well, as above the past is who you are. Besides it's fine to know something but if you can't remember how you learned it you still might end up doing it again - not everything is as simple as learning your ABC.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It depends on what the treatment is and what you, will gain as a result of it. If you are going to have a much better quality of life afterwards and it will make the remaining years you have left much better, then perhaps so. Let's face it, getting older is hard enough as it is, what with ailments, illnesses, lack of money etc, adding an even less quality of life due to something that you could do something about is something to consider.

you have to weigh the pros and cons @classic33 and only you can answer that question, but, if it can change some of your problems, then id think about it very seriously indeed. After all you have peole who can remind you of the good times as well as the bad times, and you can still make new memmories, and given a second chance, you can perhaps make changes in yourself and your outlook and attitude, and maybe you can be a better person.

yes our memories are what makes us the people we are, but there are circumatances where drastic measures may need to be taken. But, think very carefully

Top Bottom