Forgotten Cycling slang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Avocet computer, the first modern speedometer I remember, before that I remember the mileage recorder by the front hub that clicked over with a thing fastened to the spokes, and the speedo that had a cable coming from contraption on the front hub, but I can't remember if they had specific names.
I remember having the Huret items that operated by the screw-on peg (on the spokes)
Like one of these; https://gonevintage.com/vintage-bic...lometer-ussr-1970s-boxed-papers-mint-nos.html

Also, an odd black plastic one, that operated via a small drive-belt from the ring on the hub
One of these, they even had a trip function
3223761637_9c5a025f71.jpg

I remember the Avocets, very accurate indeed!

My first one was a 30, then a 40, & a 45
I may still have a couple of them somewhere??

I recorded my fastest ever speed on the 40
62.something MPH, down 'East Chevin' dropping, like a stone, into Otley

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I remember the Avocets, very accurate indeed!

My first one was a 30, then a 40, & a 45
I may still have a couple of them somewhere??

I recorded my fastest ever speed on the 40
62.something MPH, down 'East Chevin' dropping, like a stone, into Otley
A mate owned a bike shop at the time Avocets were about and he stopped selling them, reckoning he had a 50% return rate of faulty units.

They did look rather cool though, nice and slim on the bars. I think most of the pro peloton had them at one time.

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
'Cross bar' = top tube
'Crossie' = with a passenger sitting on the top tube, hence 'wanna crossie?'
'Racing bike' = a bicycle with dropped handlebars and 5 speeds
'Tracker' = a bicycle modified by fitting bull horn handlebars and knobbly tyres
'Push bike' = any bicycle
'Rough stuff' = off road

Levo-Lon

Guru
Croggy was a lift on the cross bar for us.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A road racing bike was just a "racer". The modern term "road bike" is nonsensical as Bromptons and touring bikes are also road bikes.

Mags were any wheel using the cartwheel concept of just a few thick spokes. Originally magnesium and used in BMX, later plastic.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Avocet computer, the first modern speedometer I remember, before that I remember the mileage recorder by the front hub that clicked over with a thing fastened to the spokes, and the speedo that had a cable coming from contraption on the front hub, but I can't remember if they had specific names.

Huret. Made in France.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It was said at our school that they had a pin in at 40mph at well as at 0, so you could break them if you went too fast.

Top Bottom