Forgotten Cycling slang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
I still have a corncob on my Trek 600, outfitted with (prosaically) Shimano tricolor 600.
I still usually ride with my 13,14,15,17,19,21 freewheel and 52/42 chain rings, as it's very flat round here.

Lozz360

Veteran
I used to hear the term 'sprocket' a lot in relation to the cogs on the back wheel.
This seems to have been replaced by freewheel and cassette.
Sprocket is still the correct term. I was corrected by a fellow CCer (can't remember who) when I referred to the cogs on the back wheel some time ago. I now understand the difference. Sprockets are turned by or turn a chain whereas a cog inter-meshes with other cogs.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Sprocket is still the correct term. I was corrected by a fellow CCer (can't remember who) when I referred to the cogs on the back wheel some time ago. I now understand the difference. Sprockets are turned by or turn a chain whereas a cog inter-meshes with other cogs.
Haha I should've known that from Meccano!

Desperately trying to salvage credibility, I can't think of anything on a bike which would accurately be described as a cog. If there's no scope for confusion perhaps it doesn't matter very much?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm now questioning whether my first freehub (Shimano 600 Tricolour) actually used a cassette in the now-familiar sense. If I wanted to change my ratios I did it exactly as I would have done with a screw-on, and I don't think a cassette works quite like that. I may be getting confused.
600 tricolor (6400) uses a 7-speed cassette. I'm not sure if there is an earlier version.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=1e5f0209-4650-4284-b009-14e4658367fa&Enum=110

Aravis

Putrid Donut
600 tricolor (6400) uses a 7-speed cassette. I'm not sure if there is an earlier version.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=1e5f0209-4650-4284-b009-14e4658367fa&Enum=110
Yes, that's what I had. I see the comments from people who are using these with modern cassettes, and I'm sure they're right, but I don't see any way of locking it in place. Or can that smooth-faced ring sitting inside the freewheel be removed and replaced?

My collection of sprockets and spacers slid directly onto freewheel part of the hub, and were locked in place by the smallest (threaded) sprocket. No cassette or separate locking ring were involved.

My collection of sprockets and spacers slid directly onto freewheel part of the hub, and were locked in place by the smallest (threaded) sprocket. No cassette or separate locking ring were involved.

One version of Shimano used a locking small sprocket. Maillard's Helicomatic was another weird and wonderful system that old timers may recall.

Sharky

Guru
Not much talk of one inch pitch nowadays.

Top Bottom