Forgotten Cycling slang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozz360

Veteran
I can't think of anything on a bike which would accurately be described as a cog. If there's no scope for confusion perhaps it doesn't matter very much?
Completely agree. If you refer to cogs instead of sprockets it Is still very clear what you are referring to. Just be warned that this forum is a hotbed of pedantry of which I myself have succumbed to practicing.

Completely agree. If you refer to cogs instead of sprockets it Is still very clear what you are referring to. Just be warned that this forum is a hotbed of pedantry of which I myself have succumbed to practicing.

Aravis said:
I can't think of anything on a bike which would accurately be described as a cog. If there's no scope for confusion perhaps it doesn't matter very much?

Speaking of pedantry and all that. I can think of several things on a bike which can be described as cogs. Each sprocket has many cogs because a cog is one tooth on a sprocket or gear. A sprocket works with a chain. A gear is a wheel of cogs that meshes with other gears. Hence the English idiom of "I'm just a cog in the wheel here."

Link:

Here's a rhetoric question for you all: Should I not cringe when I read about steal bikes, peddling home and breaking to stop?

Sharky

Guru
Aravis said:

Speaking of pedantry and all that. I can think of several things on a bike which can be described as cogs. Each sprocket has many cogs because a cog is one tooth on a sprocket or gear. A sprocket works with a chain. A gear is a wheel of cogs that meshes with other gears. Hence the English idiom of "I'm just a cog in the wheel here."

Link:

Here's a rhetoric question for you all: Should I not cringe when I read about steal bikes, peddling home and breaking to stop?
You are write to cringe.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Anyone remember ‘snowflake’ lacing of your spokes?

For those still at a loss.

434416d1235274614-snowflake-pattern-spokes-ecwdirtckdtf.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Kodos to the genius who calculated those spoke lengths.

Tapped_Out_Kodos.png

I think rap-traps were just pedals with metal cages as distinct from rubber treads. Quills had a single, wrap-round cage.

See also: block, sprints, quill, cottered cranks.

I'd assumed rat-traps were the cage, so the bike or pedal can be fitted with rat traps - got some retro ones for the carlton when I re-build it,

Thanks for reminding me that I need some new cotter pins for my cranks :biggrin:

If you had 2 chainrings it was a "double clanger". I had a mate who refused to fit front derailleur and would bend down and lift it with gloved fingers.
In Uppadines (anyone from Donny knew it) window there was only Campagnolo gear. Only others I remember, as a kid, were Huret and Simplex.

I once had the chain come off the front ring while doing about 30 down kennilworth road racing a friend, I did manage to lean down and get it back on, never figured out how I didn't come off, nor have I repeated the event.

Banger gears was what we referred to friction shifters as, after we'd experienced indexed gears as we all used to simply bang them across from 1st to 5th (or 3rd on the front) on our mountain bikes.

clickclick gears were indexed gears

throttle shift was grip-shift because you could rev it like a motorbike (and usually break it as a result)

Top Bottom