Forgotten Cycling slang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I assume that, by 'cage', you mean a toe-clip.

yup

Like @Ian H I always thought rat traps were just all-metal pedals without rubber treads. This doesn't bode well for @Ian H because I am generally wrong.

No, the rat trap requires the toe clip to be present, because then it looks like something a rat could crawl into but fail to turn round to get back out of.

shin burgers are the name mountain bikers gave to metal pedals with small (or large) studs (or even small spikes) on - one manufacturer later actually named one of their pedals after the term.

so called because one slip of the pedals and your shin was tenderised like a burger.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Never Readys

Double clanger was definitely a double chainring. (Very exotic, back in the day.) Oil up was definitely used by Suffolk DA of the CTC in the sixties. Does anyone else remember the fashion for wrapping spare tubes, tyre-levers etc in an ice-cream advert? I think they were made of PVC or something.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Double clanger was definitely a double chainring. (Very exotic, back in the day.) Oil up was definitely used by Suffolk DA of the CTC in the sixties. Does anyone else remember the fashion for wrapping spare tubes, tyre-levers etc in an ice-cream advert? I think they were made of PVC or something.
No, but I had a bag for a tube and a folding clincher called a Kirtland Tour-Pak. I still have one around here. I think you may have been able to fit a tire lever in there, as well. It may also have been able to carry some tubs and glue, if you were touring on tubs. Maybe a Tip-Top case as well.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You don't often hear about tyres being "down to the canvas" these days.

We used to call bikes that had been stripped down to the bare minimum for mucking about in the fields" Dirt Trackers". Some kids would fit motorcycle scrambler bars and later Cow Horn bars to their bikes. There was also a few lucky kids who managed to get hold of some special knobbly tyres which had small round projections. I think they came from an Avon Rubber dump and weren't for the home market. It was a shame as all us kids thought they looked great.

Top Bottom