Fork mounted light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Just a quickie: I normally mount my front-facing light on the handlebar, but with the Corsair I may well be fitting a bar bag (with Klickfix bracket) which would obscure the light. (I am also considering going fully 1970s with a rain cape, but that's another story.) The bike has the traditional brazed-on boss on the RH fork blade for a light bracket. Has anyone had any success with mounting a modern light in this location? Did you modify an old-fashioned bracket, make something yourself, or buy one ready-made? So far, I haven't been able to find anything online.

classic33

Leg End Member
Used a piece of aluminium, L shaped, large enough to be bent round to the front.

Two holes for bolts on the fork bracket and one one top to take the standard Cateye front mount(The sort with a bit of movement either way).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have a) mounted a short piece of tubing (handlebar section or something made-up) to take a standard bar-mount, and b) drilled an old-fashioned lamp bracket and bolted a fork-crown bracket to it.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Some good ideas here, thank you all. All of my lights are Moon or Lezyne, and fit directly to the bar in wraparound style. A short length of old handlebar projecting sideways somehow would be ideal, and it should be fairly easy to source a steel fork bracket and drill to take a length of bar tubing. Funnily enough, I have just trimmed a couple of inches off each end of the MTB bars, so if I haven't binned them already I have the parts in stock. Will let you know. Thanks all, much appreciated.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
5/16" BSC thread, by the way. Easy to get stainless bolts in that size.

It is not the best location for a modern light. These tend to have a wide spread and do a good job of illuminating the wheel and throwing a shadow onto the left kerb. The old Schmidt E6, with its pencil beam, worked well.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Thanks - I actually have a chromed bolt in the boss already, although I always upgrade things to stainless if I get the chance. Useful to know the thread size.

I used to ride with an old-fashioned battery light on the fork and I got used to the strange silhouette of the front wheel on the left of the road. To be fair, I have retired now and I won't be needing a light for riding after dark very often. It's more of a marker light to alert oncoming car drivers.

classic33

Leg End Member
Some good ideas here, thank you all. All of my lights are Moon or Lezyne, and fit directly to the bar in wraparound style. A short length of old handlebar projecting sideways somehow would be ideal, and it should be fairly easy to source a steel fork bracket and drill to take a length of bar tubing. Funnily enough, I have just trimmed a couple of inches off each end of the MTB bars, so if I haven't binned them already I have the parts in stock. Will let you know. Thanks all, much appreciated.
A "U-bolt" the size of the piece of handle bar, with a backing plate on the rear?

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
A "U-bolt" the size of the piece of handle bar, with a backing plate on the rear?
The possibilities are endless!

si_c

Guru
For Lezyne lights you can get a Go-Pro style mounting bracket that replaces the existing one. This should provide secure mounting options.

Of course the best option if you want to go for a fork mounted light is to go Dynamo. To steal a phrase, once you go dynamo you won't go back.

Survivor Bikes

Also check out @Survivor Bikes upcoming project to renovate old style bike lamps. Using modern battery converters and LEDs, I'm thinking.
Hi, all. I’m always accruing those old right angled fork boss brackets. They’ve got the ‘spade’ end which slots into vintage lamps.

Usually, the chrome is beyond repair (probably due to the proximity to the road); so I tend to strip them and colour-key them to the forks.

Currently, as well as vintage battery lamps, I’m also looking at period correct dynamo sets; with a view to replacing the generator with a rechargeable power pack (disguised to look vintage), and Cree bulbs.

I’ll get a thread going soon.

Gunk

Guru
Hi, all. I’m always accruing those old right angled fork boss brackets. They’ve got the ‘spade’ end which slots into vintage lamps.

Usually, the chrome is beyond repair (probably due to the proximity to the road); so I tend to strip them and colour-key them to the forks.

Currently, as well as vintage battery lamps, I’m also looking at period correct dynamo sets; with a view to replacing the generator with a rechargeable power pack (disguised to look vintage), and Cree bulbs.

I’ll get a thread going soon.

Ive thought of doing this and disguising the battery pack inside the body of an old pump

Top Bottom