Fork mounted light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Survivor Bikes

I have a couple of alloy (Hiduminium) spade light brackets. They are not common.
I had to look that particular alloy up (forgive my ignorance). Created by Rolls Royce during WW2 no less, nice 👍

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Tony Oliver's book on touring bikes says the front lamp can be on the nearside fork blade but the RVLR 1989 says otherwise. Mind you, there's a fair bit of inaccuracy in the rest of the book!

figbat

Slippery scientist
This is all very timely - I recently picked up a Kingpin that had the early 80s style Union lights and bottle dynamo - I have been trying to think of ways to upgrade it whilst retaining some period appearance.
image.jpg

Pumpman

Currently, as well as vintage battery lamps, I’m also looking at period correct dynamo sets; with a view to replacing the generator with a rechargeable power pack (disguised to look vintage), and Cree bulbs.

I’ll get a thread going soon.
I have a slowly ongoing project of refurbishing a Peugeot mixte. The frame has internal wiring for dynamo lighting and a dynamo bracket on the seat stay. I do not really like the idea of fitting a dynamo, but it seems wrong not to fit period dynamo lighting, in keeping with the original build. I had wondered if it would be possible to fit LED internals into vintage lights and replace the internals of an old dynamo with a battery, but I did not feel confident doing this. It looks like you are planning this, so I look forward to seeing your new thread on this.

I have a slowly ongoing project of refurbishing a Peugeot mixte. The frame has internal wiring for dynamo lighting and a dynamo bracket on the seat stay. I do not really like the idea of fitting a dynamo, but it seems wrong not to fit period dynamo lighting, in keeping with the original build. I had wondered if it would be possible to fit LED internals into vintage lights and replace the internals of an old dynamo with a battery, but I did not feel confident doing this. It looks like you are planning this, so I look forward to seeing your new thread on this.

Same here, old P18 from 1984ish. I'll need to find the lights themselves also, as were stripped off before being dumped.

Survivor Bikes

Hi there. Yes I’m still working on it between other projects.

With a relatively small 3000 mAh battery; you could power two 3v LEDs for just over 18 hours between charges (if I remember my Ohm’s Law correctly 🧐)

Then it would be a case of rigging a discreet switch somewhere in the system.

Top Bottom