forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveyrunner

Head set wont fit properly over forks. Bike shop mechanic says forks are too wide at the base and this is a fault. They are Kona project 2s brand new and should be fine. Has any one had this problem.

barq

Is it the crown race that won't fit? You don't have a picture or failing that a diagram of what you mean? I'm trying to visualise the problem and failing.

Jonathan M

What forks, what headset??? IIRC there used to be a different standard of crown race inner diameter, but that things got standardised a while ago.

No chance that it is the saturday boy in the LBS who simply doesn't realise that the crown race is a press fit is there?

Or that the headset is a 1", and the forks are 1 1/8th??

Just thought I'd make a comment.... just in case it is the same mistake as I made. I wonder at my own IQ sometimes.
I was trying to slip the wrong bevelled ring on - instead of the lower race, I'd been trying to slip another bevelled ring that is supposed to be situated in with the upper headset componants.
So what you describe sounds quite similar to my confusion, although I imagine a shop mechanic aint gonna be as daft as me. But who knows.
So go through all the headset parts (hopefully it's all complete) and check if there's another ring thing that is able to slip onto the lower bit of the steerer. With me, one ring was too tight, but the other was able to get seated properly.
Good luck.

Top Bottom