Formula 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Nah, Leclerc knew the race was lost. There's was no way he could have maintained the lead for another two laps. He deliberately caused the incident. I don't particularly blame him. That's what's known in Sim Racing as a Rage Quit.
And yet I suspect both of us remember some epic multi-corner battles where the guy on the outside refuses to give up, gets the inside line next corner etc.

CLC never had that option because when he turned in alongside Max, he couldn't, because not the required room (which had been left on the previous lap, one notes, unsuccessfully as it turned out)

I think it's a long way away from CLC 'causing the incident'

They didn't decide it until late because if it had gone against Max, his fans, and Red Bull's would have torn the place apart.

Goggs

Guru
You seem to have fallen for Leclercs BS. It's not for the faster driver to "leave room", rather it's the job of the slower driver to recognise that he's the slower driver. Seriously, I do more work in sims than I do in my actual job. I would have done exactly the same as Leclerc but (I hope) I'd be man enough to recognise my own cars failings.

otek59

The people who are bemoaning the glory days might want to try buying themselves a PS 4 Pro/XBox One X and GT Sport or Forza whatever. Be that hero!
Too, right were can you “drive” a Audi S1 Quattro a P3 Alfa Romeo, 300sl merc, in about 15 minutes much more exciting than modern F1

keithmac

Guru
^^^ This - my summer Sundays used to be arranged around the F1 races. Up early for the fly-away races, afternoons set aside for the European races, even going off to Silverstone for the British GP.
Not any more.

MotoGP filled the gap for a good while, but now they vanished onto pay TV I'll survive without that as well.

Exactly the same for me, catch up on qualifying after work on Saturday an Sunday was planned around the race.

Watched a couple last year and none this year, it's just lost it for me, nothing to get excited about any more.

Such a shame, all down to aerodynamics. Can't get close enough to have a good old battle now.

Used to enjoy Vettel vs Webber at Red Bull, always interesting to watch!.

Then there was Jenson Button, Canada 2011, from last to a win. Probably the best driving I've ever seen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37402476

Drago

Legendary Member
I had a tour of the Mercedes F1 factory last week, by Geoff Willis, who's one of the big nobs. Seems my dad is mates with a chap who knows Mr Willis.

It was astonishing. If I started now it'd be weeks before I'd finished telling you about it all. But imagine all those resources, talent and effort being brought to bear on something useful like cycling or world hunger?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I had a tour of the Mercedes F1 factory last week, by Geoff Willis, who's one of the big nobs. Seems my dad is mates with a chap who knows Mr Willis.

It was astonishing. If I started now it'd be weeks before I'd finished telling you about it all. But imagine all those resources, talent and effort being brought to bear on something useful like cycling or world hunger?
I think that's a worrying phrase right there :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

The problem with F1 now is that there are too many street circuits, too many tracks where overtaking is difficult, too many silly rules and too many races won by the pit crew rather than the drivers.
I don't see it that there are too many street circuits (apart from Monaco which is just a joke) it's not the tracks that make it difficult it's the rules which as you say there are too many of them, but there has to be lots of rules are F1 teams will bend any rule up to the breaking line & beyond if they think they can get away with it to gain an advantage.
They were completely different incidents and I think the stewards got the Vettel/Hamilton one wrong and the Leclerc/Verstappen one correct.
My view is they got Vettel/Hamilton correct, Vettel lost control of his car, he left the track, rejoined & gained an advantage by doing so, i.e. he maintained the lead, hindsight is wonderful but what he should have done is once back under control, ease over let Hamilton through then blast past him on the straight. Regarding Verstappen/Leclerc I don't have all the data but to me there is a moment where Verstappen takes a small amount of lock off to ensure that he hits Leclerc but he may say that was just a correction because he was sliding, Leclerc made an error he didn't expect Verstappen going for the gap from so far back.
Verstappen is Senna but Leclerc is Prost.
This is so true, a bully Vs a nice guy
The rule (amongst others) says it's an offence to crowd an opponent beyond track limits.
That's the rule. It's what happened, it wasn't applied.
But what happens if the person being crowded deliberately puts themselves in a position where the pusher has no choice?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
But what happens if the person being crowded deliberately puts themselves in a position where the pusher has no choice?
Come on, there absolutely was a choice, and V made it. He knew that unless he pushed CLC off, then he'd outdrag him again.

Compare and contrast:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nxwn3OHkEw

Look at the track room and mutual respect and trust of two drivers having a great race, on e that's gone down in the annals...

Drago

Legendary Member
The Frenchmen was both on the outside and fractionally rearward, so the convention is that it is they who should yield. Conversely, just because LeClerc should yield and does not does not make it ok to run him off the track - even score, 1 all. They both broke the sporting code...possibly.

Of course, on a safe track with such wide paved run off areas they take the risk of not yielding and then complaining they were crowded off. You won't see LeClerc trying that on a corner with gravel traps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Look at the track room and mutual respect and trust of two drivers having a great race, on e that's gone down in the annals...
But we are talking about Max Verstappen who has self belief that he is the best driver in the world, he has no respect for any other driver, only jealously when they have a better car, cheating is a way of life to him, win at all costs is the only motto.

But as @Drago says, if the corner had had a gravel trap or a solid wall would Leclerc put himself there in the first place? Charles left to door open, Max filled the gap, Charles should have given up the corner, cut back inside & out dragged him down the straight again, but hindsight is wonderful.

Top Bottom