Formula 1

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Dec66, 30 Jun 2019.

1. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

Not the best cultural match, perhaps? CLC better, perhaps?

2. Goggs

Goggs Veteran

The only point I was making is that given the best car he's the best driver. To be fair, that's probably true for most of the grid.

3. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Thanks for the clip, that was proper racing. I doubt we'll ever see that level again.

4. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Has the memory of a goldfish

I can't see Mercedes dumping Hamilton in favour of Verstappen. Ever. And I can't see Hammy wanting the competition Verstappen would provide. It would be worse than Rosberg.

Beebo likes this.
  5. Goggs

Goggs Veteran

I think Hamilton has at best one more season in him. After that it's the bright lights of panto for him.

6. Bonefish Blues

He's after Schumi's 7. It may not take him any longer than that.

7. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

But he'll want to beat it, surely?

classic33 likes this.
  8. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Whilstever Mercedes have a competitive car I can't see him leaving, even if the others get their acts together & start to challenge him.

9. Bonefish Blues

Likely so

glasgowcyclist likes this.
  10. Goggs

Goggs Veteran

He's got Celebrity Love Jungle written all over him.

11. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Just like in short oval racing... :biggrin: Pick your formula; superstox, national hot rods, sprint midgets...

Drivers get graded according to ability / results. Least good (white roof) start up front, then yellow, blue and red grade drivers. World champ in the category has a gold roof and starts at the very back.

12. And therein lies the problem with GP racing at present. There are no ‘standout’ drivers, who can outdrive a sub par car, at present ( Vettel excepted, and Kimi seemingly doesn’t care that much anymore) Generally a driver of that calibre, ( Senna, Schumacher, Alonso, Hakkinen, Raikkonen, Vettel. ) all of whom demonstrably drove gash cars, way past what the experienced engineers at their respective teams, thought possible, doesn't appear very often. I believe Leclerc is of that ilk, but he’s not been put in the worst car, so it’s harder to tell.

Goggs likes this.
  13. Bonefish Blues

Vettel on that list? Am surprised.

Goggs likes this.
  14. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

I'll agree with you there. I don't see Seb as that kind of a driver - he's untouchable in a great car, but in anything else, he struggles.

I would, however put Prost on the list. No, he wasn't as spectacular as some, but he didn't earn his moniker of "The Professor" for nothing. I'd also put Derek Warwick on that list too.

classic33 and Goggs like this.
  15. Vettel poled a Torro Rosso and drove a flag to flag, at Monza, in the rain. That was his ‘proven moment’. Admittedly TR were using a tweaked Ferrari engine that weekend, but the chassis was still no where near that good.

Goggs likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice