Formula 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll agree with you there. I don't see Seb as that kind of a driver - he's untouchable in a great car, but in anything else, he struggles.
Absolutely not true ( Monza 2008) It’s very true of Hamilton ( when he was driving ‘Paddy’s pup’, he failed to outdrive it )

Prost was a superb driver, but he really didn’t ever get bad cars. He also mastered the dummy spit. It cost him his place at Ferrari. When they did give him a ( relatively) poor car, he sulked and moaned ( publicly) and ended up being very publicly booted out of the team.

Vettel proving again how brilliant a driver he is :whistle:
That was utter buffoonery. However, that’s what ( as anyone who actually has a clue about this ) would know, is what makes the difference between a multiple Grand Prix world champion, and an armchair wazcock, who’s never raced anything. They will always go for an opportunity, no matter how slim the chance of pulling it off. Sometimes you get it wrong. Take the penalty, move on.

Goggs

Guru
That was utter buffoonery. However, that’s what ( as anyone who actually has a clue about this ) would know, is what makes the difference between a multiple Grand Prix world champion, and an armchair wazcock, who’s never raced anything. They will always go for an opportunity, no matter how slim the chance of pulling it off. Sometimes you get it wrong. Take the penalty, move on.

Except there was no opportunity there. In fact, if you look at the real speed replay Vettel went on the brakes early and then came off them. He went for the punt.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Vettel poled a Torro Rosso and drove a flag to flag, at Monza, in the rain. That was his ‘proven moment’. Admittedly TR were using a tweaked Ferrari engine that weekend, but the chassis was still no where near that good.
He's not done it since, and doesn't seem to be able to drive around the Ferrari's issues. I think that you must take him off ze list! :laugh:

Goggs

Guru
That was another great race today. Admittedly, not at the front but further back the driving was superb. I thought both Leclerc and Verstappen done themselves proud today. Vettel was disgraceful and it's becoming more and more obvious that Leclerc has him rattled. I feel sorry for Bottas though as it was the Safety Car which cost him the race.

Except there was no opportunity there. In fact, if you look at the real speed replay Vettel went on the brakes early and then came off them. He went for the punt.
Again, anyone who’s driven winged cars would know that the aero completely evaporates in the dirty air, so the brakes are all you’ve got. The Red bull jinked right, and effectively stole all the drag. It was 70:30 at best. Vettel surely knew the merde was going to hit the fan if the red bull did what it did, but he was chancing his arm that it didn’t. The gamble didn’t pay off, he admitted it post race, fair play to him.

That was another great race today. Admittedly, not at the front but further back the driving was superb. I thought both Leclerc and Verstappen done themselves proud today. Vettel was disgraceful and it's becoming more and more obvious that Leclerc has him rattled. I feel sorry for Bottas though as it was the Safety Car which cost him the race.

Other than the incidents, that was about as mind numbingly boring as it gets. GP racing is utter tosh at the moment. I only suffered it because it was on at the establishment I find myself in at the moment. I need mind bleach now.

He's not done it since, and doesn't seem to be able to drive around the Ferrari's issues. I think that you must take him off ze list! :laugh:

You can only work with the tools provided, and ( crucially) within what the team instruct you to do. If you piss Ferrari off, you’re going to get booted quick smart. You have to fly below the radar, and keep schtum if you want to keep your ( lucrative ) drive. He’s still got the balls, he’s not stupid though.

Goggs

Guru
If you're trying to tell me that F1 isn't the pinnacle of motorsport then you're preaching to the converted. Still, for modern F1 that was an exciting race. As was Austria.

Absolutely not true ( Monza 2008) It’s very true of Hamilton ( when he was driving ‘Paddy’s pup’, he failed to outdrive it )

Every driver can have a "one hit wonder" moment... Vittorio Brambilla, Pastor Maldonado and Olivier Panis spring to mind. That's motor racing for you. Seb's Monza race in the Torro Rosso fits into that category IMHO.

In that race IIRC, Adrian Sutil led for a good while in the Spyker.

You can only work with the tools provided, and ( crucially) within what the team instruct you to do. If you piss Ferrari off, you’re going to get booted quick smart. You have to fly below the radar, and keep schtum if you want to keep your ( lucrative ) drive. He’s still got the balls, he’s not stupid though.

That doesn't take into account the ever growing litany of mistakes that Seb's made over the years. Some of them have been real howlers.

Seb's achilles heel is his mental frailty - the very best have greater mental fortitude.

Top Bottom