Forum member on BBC Radio York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hairy Jock said:
Anyone got an mp3 copy of the radio interview, I couldn't get the listen again to work.

I think Arch's response on the cafe (no 6) lets you down load it as a mp3 via right click and 'save target'

ChrisKH

Guru
Nice one Arch. You do have a good voice for radio I have to say. Also well done on keeping your cool when the obligatory "all cyclists are rlj's" comment came up.

domtyler

Über Member
ChrisKH said:
Nice one Arch. You do have a good voice for radio I have to say. Also well done on keeping your cool when the obligatory "all cyclists are rlj's" comment came up.

I thought you were about to quip the "Perfect face for Radio" gag then! Thank goodness you didn't! ;):biggrin:

OP
OP
P

pbjohnson

And she was on Radio 5Live!

It proves there's an appetite to the story but here's the rub - I am doing the PR for action cameras and there had been a huge deal of coverage for the story with barely any mention of the client. So great news for cyclists but bad new for me and the client!

But it's all good and Arch has been a total star. I am about to do the selling in of the Scotland aspect (step forward future star magnatom!) but need to work out a way of this being of value to the person paying my wages (Action cameras) as well as good for cyclists (of which I'm one).

Thought needed ...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you can get action cameras high in google for "helmet camera cyclist" type phrases, then your work is done. Or rather it would have been if that was already the case when these news items came out.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wow, thanks everyone! No way am I too famous to mix with you now - after all, it was mostly hanging out with you lot that got me here!

Radio York clip can be heard here, if anyone wants it...
http://www.bikepete.f2s.com/arch.mp3

Last night's Look North is here for now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/looknorthyorkslincs/index.shtml

Click on Watch Latest Edition Again - but I think that'll only be until lunchtime today.

Now, who asked about editing... Gambatte? Alll my films are edited using Windows Movie Maker, which comes as part of Windows packages of XP and later I think. It does pretty much everything I need - titles, captions, editing shots, and is pretty easy to figure out how to use.

And yes, perfect face for radio....

Was also on Radio Five Live Drive (how many 'ives' in one title?) last night at about 4.25, for a couple of minutes. Much like the Radio York bit, they picked up on cyclists jumping redlights etc. I was expecting that, said much the same as before and managed to get in a bit about also being a driver myself, which I felt was lacking from the TV and Radio York bits - but there's only so much time and a lot to remember to say. Five Live was done over the phone, perhaps that helped because I felt I could be a bit more... bolshie... than face to face.

What next? Facing John Humphreys on Today, or Paxo on Newsnight? Nah. I reckon I'm old news now....;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
pbjohnson said:
It proves there's an appetite to the story but here's the rub - I am doing the PR for action cameras and there had been a huge deal of coverage for the story with barely any mention of the client. So great news for cyclists but bad new for me and the client!

But it's all good and Arch has been a total star. I am about to do the selling in of the Scotland aspect (step forward future star magnatom!) but need to work out a way of this being of value to the person paying my wages (Action cameras) as well as good for cyclists (of which I'm one).

Thought needed ...

It's tricky - especially with the BBC, you can't plug a specific product. At least they got a close up of the camera, so people know what it looks like when they are googling...

By the time it got to the 8pm BBC1 news snippet, by the way, I'd apparently "invented" the camera myself....;)

Actually, if you google "helmet cam", the ATC2000 features pretty highly. And most of my Youtube films list it by name in the credits. Just a case of getting Action Cameras a bit higher up - they are currently about 7th and 8th on the page...

Still, at least I haven't mentioned on air the idea that you can get a good visual effect by covering a toilet roll tube with black sticky tape and taping it to your head!;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You'll never be old news to us. And your face is perfect generally, not just for radio. The incessant harping on about RLJ is a bit much, though. cars do it too, but you'd never work that out from the media. Ho hum.

Well done again.

*pat on back and hug*

OP
OP
P

pbjohnson

true, true

Agreed Arch, you've been a star. It's always the case - without me seeding the story and ringing journalists they wouldn't even know about the story and then they do their level best to not mention the source of the story! The funny thing is - I contacted my friend on 5Live to run the story and even he airbrushed Action cameras out! Oh well, it's a great campaign.

regarding Paxo and Today - I haven't been in contact with them yet so don't get too worried, just yet.

pbjohnson said:

Thought needed ...

Uugh! I'm not sure I want to do it now. There is no way I will get as good pres as Arch did. I'll just be a disappointment now! ;)

Ok, here is an angle (one I would be very happy with!)

What if the company was to sponsor a few cyclists (the ones getting the publicity, myself included of course!:thumbsup:) by supplying nice new helmet cameras to them. That would allow a slight change of emphisis in the story,

i.e.

'A helmet camera company actioncameras, is providing some new state of the art (POV.1 for instance ;)) helmet cameras to 4 (or however many) cyclists across the country as a thank you for the work they have done over the last year in highlighting cycling safety. More and more cyclists are buying...... Actioncameras director xx having seen some of the videos online was pleasantly surprised at the new use that cyclists have found for the helmet cameras, which is helping to improve safety for cyclists nationwide.......'

Sure it would cost actioncameras a few bob to supply some cameras, and sure I would love to benefit from one of the cameras myself :biggrin:, but I think it might just work!

So is it obvious I have no PR experience!

I'll get me coat!!

:biggrin:

Top Bottom