Forum ride: Crediton to Dartmoor. Saturday, 18th February, 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry but I doubt I can make it. Haven't seen my parents this Christmas due to illness in my family and I'm in the middle our men's shed build ATM which is taking all my time.

Another less busy time I'm in!

Sorry again.
That's a shame, but I aim to visit at least another 3 times this year and 4+ times thereafter as long as my sister is there and I am well enough to, so hopefully 15+ years of potential rides. Catch you down there another time.

Don't forget - another ride from Hebden Bridge in the spring!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Given that the rail unions have to give 3 weeks notice of a rail strike and I need to travel down on 9th February, I should be able to confirm the 18th February date after 19th January. If I can't get down for my family gathering, I would prefer to delay coming down for a few weeks to see off more of the winter. I'll let you know one way or the other ASAP.
No rail strike action is planned around the 9th so I should be coming down as planned and the ride should be on Saturday, 18th February unless Devon is hit by appalling weather that weekend!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am just leaving Birmingham on my way down. The train is busy but not crammed so at least I have a seat this time!

Family matters to attend to until next week but I hope to get some riding done before the 18th.

Does anybody who hasn't posted in the thread yet fancy joining us?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I am just leaving Birmingham on my way down. The train is busy but not crammed so at least I have a seat this time!

Family matters to attend to until next week but I hope to get some riding done before the 18th.

Does anybody who hasn't posted in the thread yet fancy joining us?

Am still looking in the garage for my climbing legs :okay:
@Ian H
@Dave 123
@newts
@colly
@Mice
Are you coming along?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was hoping to meet you on the flat bit, unfortunately i've now been roped in for a family commitment.
Enjoy the ride, hope you have good weather & strong legs.
That's a pity! Maybe next time?

It turns out that I left my long-fingered gloves on the train yesterday. Annoying enough, but even more annoying when I had already thought that I needed to make sure that I had picked everything up! I think that they must have fallen off my seat onto the floor of the carriage. Never mind - a new pair are on the way and should be with me tomorrow.

Fab Foodie

I'm intending to turn up for a pedal & a beer.

Good man :-) Beers and lunch are on me.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Good man :-) Beers and lunch are on me.
Does the Anchor have an enclosed yard or garden where we could leave our bikes if the weather is not nice enough for us to sit outside with them?

(I don't like leaving my bike anywhere that it can disappear from! It happened to me once and I would rather not risk that happening again...)

Fab Foodie

Does the Anchor have an enclosed yard or garden where we could leave our bikes if the weather is not nice enough for us to sit outside with them?

(I don't like leaving my bike anywhere that it can disappear from! It happened to me once and I would rather not risk that happening again...)

Hi Colin
No not really, the seating area is a small low-walled area out the front - it's covered, so if not freezing we can sit outside. If not we should be able to lock 3 bikes together and hopefully get a table with a window that looks onto them.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.616...!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4!12b1?rapsrc=apiv3

I did a recce of the first part of the route yesterday and it was lethal! So fave is still to go straight-up towards Whitestone and Pathfinder Village. There's a longer but less instantly severe route that I will recce in the next day or so just to see if that's a little more pleasant from the get-go!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

No not really, the seating area is a small low-walled area out the front - it's covered, so if not freezing we can sit outside. If not we should be able to lock 3 bikes together and hopefully get a table with a window that looks onto them.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.616...!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4!12b1?rapsrc=apiv3
The forecast is currently looking okay for Saturday, though obviously that could change over the next few days. I like to sit outside where possible even if I am out without a bike, given that I probably average 22 hours a day indoors normally and need the fresh air!

I was a bit shocked to discover the bike theft stats up in my part of the Calder Valley. There are often 5+ a month!

I also discovered that several of the cafes we used to use of forum rides oop north had had bikes stolen from them. One really shook me - it was a rural cafe near Ilkley. We had to go down a lane and then into the gardens of an old farm cottage. There were cyclists sitting everywhere outside, with hens wandering around begging for scraps from their tables. It was the last place that you would expect a bike to be stolen from. Multiple witnesses saw someone dressed in full cycling gear wander over to a bike, fiddle with it, then wheel it to the gate, mount it, and ride off down the lane. The problem being that the expensive bike he had selected was not his!!! :cursing:

I did check for the Cockwood/Starcross area and couldn't see much of a problem there. Maybe people are more honest down here! Not entirely though... My sister has already had scrap metal stolen from her back garden and she has only been here a couple of years!

I did a recce of the first part of the route yesterday and it was lethal! So fave is still to go straight-up towards Whitestone and Pathfinder Village. There's a longer but less instantly severe route that I will recce in the next day or so just to see if that's a little more pleasant from the get-go!
I thought that it would be when I Street-Viewed it! If you find a cleaner flatter route that isn't too much further that would be fine, otherwise I am happy to go straight up the hill. It is quite a stiff climb but I managed it on my previous visit. Spin a low gear and take your time!

*** ANY MORE RIDERS? *** :welcome:

Fab Foodie

Dears
Recce'd an alternative to going straight-up to Whitecross, whilst a nicer road with better views, it adds more height and about 3 miles.

I have also looked at coming-off Haldon Hill. Whichever way you cut it, if you continue down Old Exeter road and cut across towards Cockwood just north of Chudleigh it adds a big descent followed by a significant ascent again to cross the A380 - See Mark 2 version.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42007054
Have tweaked this descent a tad since Mk1 (which I then lost).

The alternative would continue along the top to the racecourse and take the direct route down to between Starcross and Cockwood. This saves about 670 feet of climbing on single-track lanes and provides a single long descent off of Haldon with wide sightlines (I do like to let the bike run) - at the cost of a little more traffic. See Mk3 Version
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41705152

No decisions need to be taken until Haldon (weather/legs/road-surfaces/alcoholism to be taken into account), but would welcome any thoughts?

From this morning's outing:

20230214_072657.jpg

20230214_073250.jpg

20230214_073304.jpg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Dears
Recce'd an alternative to going straight-up to Whitecross, whilst a nicer road with better views, it adds more height and about 3 miles.

I have also looked at coming-off Haldon Hill. Whichever way you cut it, if you continue down Old Exeter road and cutting across towards Cockwood just north of Chudleigh adds a big descent followed by a significant ascent again to cross the A380 - See Mark 2 version.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42007054
Have tweaked the descent a tad since Mk1 (which I then lost).

The alternative would continue along the top to the racecourse and take the direct route down to between Starcross and Cockwood. This saves about 670 feet of climbing on single-track lanes and provides a single long descent with wide sightlines (I do like to let the bike run) - at the cost of a little more traffic. See Mk3 Version
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41705152

No decisions need to be taken until Haldon (weather/legs/road-surfaces/alcoholism to be taken into account), but would welcome any thoughts?

From this morning's outing:

View attachment 678038

View attachment 678039

View attachment 678040

Stop it your not helping... Wish I were there!

Hoping you have a lovely ride!

Top Bottom