Forum Ride - Hebden Bridge, Saturday, 14th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
A few pictures from today's cold, sunny ride ...

cyclists%20widdop%20reservoir.jpg

that looks fantastic, how much of the ride is on roads like that, would be superb in the summer!

Attachments

• cyclists%20widdop%20reservoir.jpg
    cyclists%20widdop%20reservoir.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 28

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was quite inspired watching DCLane on Saturday's ride because he was climbing the way I used to and he got to that level of fitness in about 10 months (see his signature line) so it shows what is possible if one gets stuck in! I think that you, me, Steve H and a few others in our little group need to get more serious now.

Thanks Colin.

If you'd seen me last year (overweight, unfit and unable to go up one flight of stairs without stopping and using my askthma inhaler) then you'd notice the difference. My work colleagues certainly do - I don't get any of the negative comments some people have.

I thought I was going to struggle on Saturday given I'd got my back-up bike and was pleasantly surprised it was OK. For me it's simply been about persistance. There is no way I'm going back to being fat & unfit so I've got to keep going, because otherwise I'll slow, stop and return to resembling a ball. That's the reason for signing up for 1-2 things each month this year, so I've no incentive not to try.

BTW, much of the effort to get fit was done in May-July last year, so it shouldn't take too long?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
that looks fantastic, how much of the ride is on roads like that, would be superb in the summer!
That's probably one of the best views on the ride, but pretty much the whole loop is scenic. Here's a selection of photos taken on the same route at different times of year (in a random sequence) ...

gloomy-widdop-reservoir-wide.jpg

keighley_road.jpg

low-cloud-over-heptonstall-wide.jpg

oxenhope-wide.jpg

snaking-dry-stone-wall-trawden-wide.jpg

thursden_climb_large.jpg

thursden-climb-wide.jpg

trawden-fields-winter-sunshine-wide.jpg

widdop_reservoir_three_cyclists_wide.jpg

sheep-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow-wide.jpg

grey-skies-ahead.jpg

cyclist-autumn-sunshine-widdop-road.jpg

Yes - it's a nice little route! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• gloomy-widdop-reservoir-wide.jpg
    gloomy-widdop-reservoir-wide.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 29
  • keighley_road.jpg
    keighley_road.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 28
  • low-cloud-over-heptonstall-wide.jpg
    low-cloud-over-heptonstall-wide.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 32
  • oxenhope-wide.jpg
    oxenhope-wide.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 34
  • snaking-dry-stone-wall-trawden-wide.jpg
    snaking-dry-stone-wall-trawden-wide.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 35
  • thursden_climb_large.jpg
    thursden_climb_large.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 28
  • thursden-climb-wide.jpg
    thursden-climb-wide.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 29
  • widdop_reservoir_three_cyclists_wide.jpg
    widdop_reservoir_three_cyclists_wide.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 36
  • trawden-fields-winter-sunshine-wide.jpg
    trawden-fields-winter-sunshine-wide.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 30
  • sheep-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow-wide.jpg
    sheep-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow-wide.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 30
  • grey-skies-ahead.jpg
    grey-skies-ahead.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 28
  • cyclist-autumn-sunshine-widdop-road.jpg
    cyclist-autumn-sunshine-widdop-road.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You're testing me, aren't you! :thumbsup:

The first picture could be on the Trawden loop but I wouldn't swear to it. I'm almost certain that the second picture was taken near Dunsop Bridge in the Forest of Bowland, about 20 miles NW of the Trawden loop!

bigjim

Legendary Member
I was so tempted to come on this ride, more so because it was a Saurday. I wimped out because of the fear of ice [came off and broke my arm 2 years ago and still carrying that little bit of fear in the back of my head]. So, feeling guilty, on Sunday I went out for a solo 25miler. 5 mile in I hit a patch of black ice and off I came. Struggled to even stand up and wheel the bike it was that bad. Lesson learned, back to the main roads for the rest of the ride. Maybe next time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was so tempted to come on this ride, more so because it was a Saturday. I wimped out because of the fear of ice [came off and broke my arm 2 years ago and still carrying that little bit of fear in the back of my head]. So, feeling guilty, on Sunday I went out for a solo 25miler. 5 mile in I hit a patch of black ice and off I came. Struggled to even stand up and wheel the bike it was that bad. Lesson learned, back to the main roads for the rest of the ride. Maybe next time.
Ouch!

I've been very nervous of ice myself Jim, since a New Year's Day MTB ride in icy conditions about 10 years ago. I crashed heavily 3 times in an hour, but somehow escaped with minor cuts and bruises. I could have easily broken a hip or my pelvis, or even my neck - I came very close to slamming head-first into a dry stone wall!

Since that day, I've largely avoided icy conditions. I would have kept off the hilly lanes on Saturday if it hadn't been a scenic forum ride which we were all looking forward to. In fact, I probably wouldn't have gone out at all (despite the lovely sunny conditions) because it was so cold!

The ride on Sunday 22nd should be ice-free if the forecasts are right. If you fancy joining us for that, it will be 45% A-roads, 55% quieter roads and nowhere near as hilly as the last one.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Doesn't look like I can make it unfortunately, I probably wont be home until Monday :sad:
You mean the other one - wrong ride thread! :thumbsup:

Okay aJ, well we will catch you another time. Remember - study hard, play hard!

Top Bottom