Forum Ride - Hebden Bridge, Saturday, 14th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadieT

I also went for a ride this morning, my word it was cold. I would have joined you guys but I only decicded I would go out yesterday afternoon.

Covered just shy of 30 miles in an hour and 50 mins. Stopped half way round at Lotherton Hall, the pain in my toes as they started to get feeling back was horendus but once back they didnt go numb again after. Tried out my new cheepo but effective glasses on todays ride as well. With lots of ups and downs of the rolling Yorkshire countryside we were rewarded with going down Garforth Cliffe, 41.2 mph, mmmmmm :crazy:

Can't make next weeks ride but will be looking to join up with some of the ones later in the year. For anyone interested I think I will be taking part in this, http://www.seacroftwheelers.co.uk/reltrial12.htm would be good if anyone could make it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Glad you had a nice ride. I changed my ride plans a bit once reaching the forest of bowland and spending a lot of time walking round ice, still managed a good few miles though. Will be on one of your rides soon colin, although not next week as it's Ali's birthday!
Happy Birthday Ali!

It's mine coming up too so I'll soon become an even more middle-aged bloke (56)! I had a bit of an argument with someone a while back who said that midlle-aged was 40-50 and that anyone over 50 was old! I reckon the 'new' old should start at about 70, given how much longer people are living and how fit some older people are. I intend to be one of them and become old(ish) at 70 and then very old at 85! :thumbsup:

If you change your mind about doing the long NWP, you know where to find us for the mini-NWP!

Glad you made it round Colin, Kevin must be much more unfit than last time I saw him if he couldn't keep up with you though :whistle:
Didn't fancy the long drive over for this seeing as I'll be there next Sunday.
Any pics?
No, Kevin had been up since about 06:30 when he'd taken his dog for a long walk and I don't think he'd factored in the extra energy used doing that. He was riding at least as fast (slowish!) as me before his energy reserves ran low.

I got a lift down to the Midlands for New Year and it struck me then how far it is by car to the Stockport area! I don't blame you not wanting to do the drive two weekends on the trot.

I do have a few photos but they aren't great. I'll pick a couple out after I've had something to eat.

Brrr - I'm still cold!

tubbycyclist

Kind of enjoyed that ride although it showed me that cycle commuting makes a difference. Changed job, not cycling very regularly and it showed! Struggled with little energy in a couple of places and clearly need to think of other ways to get my mileage up.
Foolishly got a (flat) 200 next weekend so I will try the kill or cure approach, although I may DNS on it if the weather is as cold as today and join you lot on the main roads to Waddington.

potsy

Rambler
Kind of enjoyed that ride although it showed me that cycle commuting makes a difference. Changed job, not cycling very regularly and it showed! Struggled with little energy in a couple of places and clearly need to think of other ways to get my mileage up.
Foolishly got a (flat) 200 next weekend so I will try the kill or cure approach, although I may DNS on it if the weather is as cold as today and join you lot on the main roads to Waddington.

Come along next week Kev and I'll show you that regular commuting makes bugger all difference to me :training::sweat:

Hicky

Guru
Enjoyed that cheers to all, some of the scenery was/is superb....cracking roads, except for the ice.
Rode home....minus house keys and anyone in:blush:.....consoled myself in the local.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Covered just shy of 30 miles in an hour and 50 mins ...
A lot quicker than us today!
Can't make next weeks ride but will be looking to join up with some of the ones later in the year.
I'm going to try and do at least 2 forum rides or audax events each month so there should be plenty of chances to meet up.
Enjoyed that cheers to all, some of the scenery was/is superb....cracking roads, except for the ice.
Rode home....minus house keys and anyone in:blush:.....consoled myself in the local.
Ha ha - good job the pub was open!

colly

Re member eR
I also went for a ride this morning, my word it was cold. I would have joined you guys but I only decicded I would go out yesterday afternoon.

Covered just shy of 30 miles in an hour and 50 mins. Stopped half way round at Lotherton Hall, the pain in my toes as they started to get feeling back was horendus but once back they didnt go numb again after. Tried out my new cheepo but effective glasses on todays ride as well. With lots of ups and downs of the rolling Yorkshire countryside we were rewarded with going down Garforth Cliffe, 41.2 mph, mmmmmm :crazy:

Can't make next weeks ride but will be looking to join up with some of the ones later in the year. For anyone interested I think I will be taking part in this, http://www.seacroftwheelers.co.uk/reltrial12.htm would be good if anyone could make it.

I might be along. I Probably would ride out to Sherburn and then break off as we are coming back through Alwoodley.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A few pictures from today's cold, sunny ride ...

cyclists%20at%20pecket%20well.jpg

cyclists%20above%20scar%20top.jpg

cyclists%20smiling.jpg

cyclists%20widdop%20reservoir.jpg

stoodley%20pike%20racing%20bike%20fading%20light.jpg

Attachments

• cyclists%20at%20pecket%20well.jpg
    cyclists%20at%20pecket%20well.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 27
  • cyclists%20above%20scar%20top.jpg
    cyclists%20above%20scar%20top.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 27
  • cyclists%20smiling.jpg
    cyclists%20smiling.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 33
  • cyclists%20widdop%20reservoir.jpg
    cyclists%20widdop%20reservoir.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 27
  • stoodley%20pike%20racing%20bike%20fading%20light.jpg
    stoodley%20pike%20racing%20bike%20fading%20light.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 33

Holy Warrior

Sounds like you had a good one guys.

I see a green and white helmet DClane that must be you!

Edge705

Im mending nicely Col last week this time I was on crutches now Im walking gingerly hope to be back on the bike Monday and looking good for the Feb ride maybe drag Alun along

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I see Colin was keeping his belly out of shot :whistle:
It's true! Though I'm still quite fat when I'm around 14.5 st, I can put up with pictures of me taken when I'm that kind of weight, but I really don't like being almost 16 st - the extra 20 pounds is really obvious in photographs.

I had my heavy duty Endura jacket on yesterday and it's the first time it has felt tight on me!

Im mending nicely Col last week this time I was on crutches now Im walking gingerly hope to be back on the bike Monday and looking good for the Feb ride maybe drag Alun along
That's good - see you soon!

A couple of shots of our stop off at Lotherton Hall. (sorry to hijack the thread :shy:)
Lovely sunshine, but it must have been as cold there as it was for our ride - shorts?! :wacko:

potsy

Rambler
It's true! Though I'm still quite fat when I'm around 14.5 st, I can put up with pictures of me taken when I'm that kind of weight, but I really don't like being almost 16 st - the extra 20 pounds is really obvious in photographs.
Photo amnesty on Sunday?
I don't like my extra Christmas weight being shown either :biggrin:
Confiscation of all camera equipment and pre-approved photo's only on the site :thumbsup:

Top Bottom