Forum Ride - Hebden Bridge, Saturday, 14th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Due to popular demand, I'll now be doing a forum ride from Hebden Bridge on Saturday, 14th January as well as the one on Sunday the 22nd.

Subject to non-icy conditions - it will be my Trawden loop, but returning via Worsthorne and the A646, rather than Widdop. A cafe stop at Coldwell Activity Centre cafe after about 22 miles. Total distance about 41 miles, with the last 10 miles an easy ride back on the A646.

Usual ride ethos - an easy sociable pace, and lots of chatting, with a relaxed stop at the cafe. Nobody will be left behind but if anyone wants to climb ahead of the slower riders, feel free, just wait at the summits for me and the rest of the rear guard!

You ought to feel fairly sure that you can cope with a hilly ride of this distance.

It will be slow, slow, slow. Don't come along and complain about it being slow. IT WILL BE SLOW! (We won't be riding quickly ... ;))

Let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 and aim to set off at 10:00. Map showing car parks.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the Inn on the Bridge on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park in good time because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

Riders
  • ColinJ
  • Hicky
  • DCLane
If you are interested in joining us, post below.

Hi Colin,

I really enjoyed my first forum ride in November and count me in as a definate for this one onn 22nd Jan.

Totally flexible on start time so will go along with majority opinion.

Brian

Colin,

Sorry for any confusion, unfortunately I can't make the 14th Jan ride due to family commitments but I'm fine for waddington ride on 22nd Jan.

Cheers,

Brian

potsy

Rambler
Was thinking of doing this one until I realised it was a 'Trawden' ride, nearly killed me this time last year :ohmy:
Doubtful I can do both rides so will see how how the numbers stack-up and decide later in the week.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was planning to get out this weekend so I will see if I can get a pass out for the Saturday and join you.
cheers
Ah, I was thinking only this morning that we hadn't heard from you for a while!

Was thinking of doing this one until I realised it was a 'Trawden' ride, nearly killed me this time last year :ohmy:
Doubtful I can do both rides so will see how how the numbers stack-up and decide later in the week.
You've got over 5,000 miles in your legs since then - you'd romp it!

The forecast is that there might be a frost on Friday night so we'll need to watch out for ice patches on shaded stretches of road.

tubbycyclist

I have converted to a definite for this and will be there.

Just a quick thought on the route, if we are coming back through Worsthorne is it worth a left and come back along the Long Causeway. I know it is more of a climb but it is a hillier, more scenic route than the valley road.

Hicky

Guru
Hope you can make it Potsy, as has been said it may be hilly but wont be quick...hopefully the weather will be kind and the views will match the pics of Colins "Trawden" ride.
A good cast off the cobwebs ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have converted to a definite for this and will be there.

Just a quick thought on the route, if we are coming back through Worsthorne is it worth a left and come back along the Long Causeway. I know it is more of a climb but it is a hillier, more scenic route than the valley road.
A man after my own heart! I was actually thinking along those lines myself, but I was going to see how my 8-weeks-off-the-bike legs felt by the time we got to Mereclough before I suggested it! Let's stop by the Kettledrum and assess our legs, the time and the weather and make a choice then.

Hope you can make it Potsy, as has been said it may be hilly but wont be quick...hopefully the weather will be kind and the views will match the pics of Colins "Trawden" ride.
A good cast off the cobwebs ride.
Yeah, come on potsy - you know you want to! :hello:
Confirmed with SWMBO and I'll be there.
It's a date!

Riders
  • ColinJ
  • Hicky
  • DCLane
  • tubbycyclist
Just maybes...
  • potsy (but only if we can cajole him into it!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin - I was cleaning my bike and I've found what appears to be a huge crack across the frame.

I'll phone Evans tomorrow and if I can't sort something out I'll probably bring the Carrera. Which is likely to be ... interesting. Particularly as it doesn't have any brakes atm!
Well spotted!

I had the a similar situation last year with my left crank ...

cracked-crank.jpg

Re: Carrera - I can assure you that fully functional brakes will be an absolute necessity on Saturday, unless you are fond of headbutting dry stone walls at 60 mph on twisty descents! :thumbsup:

Wont be back from uni for the 14th and I'm far too unfit. I'll see if I can make the 22nd one though.
Have you managed to put any weight on since we last saw you, or are you still quicker going uphill than you are going down! :smile:

We won't be riding quickly on the 22nd. It will be more a case of dealing with the distance rather than significant hills or speed.

Attachments

• cracked-crank.jpg
    cracked-crank.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom