Forum Ride - Hebden Bridge, Saturday, 14th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Re: Carrera - I can assure you that fully functional brakes will be an absolute necessity on Saturday, unless you are fond of headbutting dry stone walls at 60 mph on twisty descents! :thumbsup:

The Carrera now has brakes that work. The back ones leave a lot to be desired but the fronts are fine.

aJohnson

Have you managed to put any weight on since we last saw you, or are you still quicker going uphill than you are going down! :smile:

We won't be riding quickly on the 22nd. It will be more a case of dealing with the distance rather than significant hills or speed.

Haven't put on any weight despite all the pizza I've been having, so I presume I'll still be faster going uphill :P

I'll try to make it on the 22nd then.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is a lovely day here today but there was a significant frost overnight. The forecast for tonight/tomorrow is similar to last night/today so I think it will be only just above freezing for our ride with the possibility of fog in some of the valleys. I think there will be the possibility of ice in shaded areas , especially on the smaller lanes so we will need to be vigilant!

Does anyone else want their name adding to our list of riders?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I will not do this one but would love to do one spring summer 40 odd miles covering some of the rides I have seen your pics of would be great! London based so will need to be coupled with a family weekend break..

Good luck tomorrow!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will not do this one but would love to do one spring summer 40 odd miles covering some of the rides I have seen your pics of would be great! London based so will need to be coupled with a family weekend break..
Hopefully we will get a decent summer this year for a change - the last few springs have been better than the summers!

Do you mean that you have family in the area, or you'd bring your family up from London for a weekend?
Good luck tomorrow!
Tomorrow should be a really nice winter day; I just hope ice isn't a problem.

Allow for the windchill factor, folks - it will be very cold on the descents and especially so if we hit any patches of freezing fog which is always a possibility in the valleys at this time of year.

See y'all in the morning!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Watch out for ice I went outside to get some wood and nearly broke my neck
I'm going to have a frank discussion with all involved! I've worked out a far less interesting main road route of the same distance which we can do instead of our planned scenic one if we as a group feel that the ice risk on the hilltop lanes is too great. I certainly don't want to shoulder the responsibility for the decision alone!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How was the ride ?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

How was the ride ?
Very nice thank you! :thumbsup:

I met the lads in the car park and told them that I was worried about the near certainty of ice 'on the tops'. We talked about it and decided to stick to the planned route but proceed with extreme caution where necessary.

The sun was shining all day, but the air was really cold. The windchill on the descents was pretty bad but we were all wearing full winter kit so we coped with it.

Sure enough, we did start to encounter ice and slush across some of the really quiet lanes. A few times we were reduced to walking short stretches but 99% of the route was rideable.

It was soon obvious that DCLane and Hicky were coming through the winter much fitter than yours truly and tubbycyclist. I was slow and my legs didn't have any oomph, but I was actually quite pleased with how I coped given that I have had no exercise whatsoever since November 20th! I noticed that tc had dropped back before we got to Laneshaw Bridge and I waited for him and asked if he was okay. He said that he hadn't eaten enough and was close to bonking. He'd just eaten a banana but it hadn't been digested yet. We regrouped and rode round to the cafe at a gentle pace to save what was left of tc's energy.

It was nice to get in the warm for a while. I didn't check how long we spent in the cafe but it must have been close to an hour during which time I managed to consume one of the all-day veggie breakfasts which I'd been so miffed to miss out on the last time we called in at Coldwell in November.

We discussed the post-cafe ride home and decided to be sensible and knock about 8 miles off our planned route and return via Widdop Road, the most direct route. It was the right decision.

I think DCLane rode the whole steep Thursden climb but the rest of us walked parts of it. It is often covered in ice at this time of year, but for once, the local council had actually managed to grit it and so it was largely clear. I have to say that the 2 or 3 councils covering today's route had done a pretty good job for a change. Most of the roads were perfectly safe, and the only ones with dodgy ice patches were very minor.

We ended up doing 33 miles on a very cold day and I'm perfectly happy with that. Though the sunshine was great, it was so cold that I reckon I wouldn't have gone out without the motivation provided by my 3 fellow CycleChatters - thanks chaps!

I didn't realise how chilled I was feeling but I'm sitting here now in front of a gas fire and I still feel pretty cold.

I hope it is a bit warmer for next weekend's forum ride which will be double the length of this one (though far less hilly)!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I hope to come on one of your rides later in the year - lovely part of the world. I stayed off the bike today - icy here

I took advantage of the weather to give the car a long overdue oil/filter/plugs change, then did the wife's as her car takes 10 minutes to change oil - Toyota put the oil filter at the front of the engine (wife's car), Nissan it's high up at the back, over the hot exhaust and needs a splash guard removing, as well as the car jacking up (my car) and you lying on your back under the car to remove the bugger.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I hope to come on one of your rides later in the year - lovely part of the world.
You'd be very welcome!

I must admit that I was thinking of the problems you've had with your shoulder when I was worrying about the ice risk today. We walked down one steep descent which turned to be safe to ride, but the problem was that we'd have had to commit ourselves to it, so what would we have done if we had suddenly encountered ice? You can't stop dead and dismount on a wet 20% slope!

trio25

Über Member
Glad you had a nice ride. I changed my ride plans a bit once reaching the forest of bowland and spending a lot of time walking round ice, still managed a good few miles though. Will be on one of your rides soon colin, although not next week as it's Ali's birthday!

potsy

Rambler
Glad you made it round Colin, Kevin must be much more unfit than last time I saw him if he couldn't keep up with you though :whistle:
Didn't fancy the long drive over for this seeing as I'll be there next Sunday.
Any pics?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Colin - thanks from me for organising today. It's good to meet up with other CC'ers - see you on the 18th of Feb. Despite the occasional ice it was good to be out in the sun. And yes, I rode up all of Thursden - a bit steep!

Top Bottom