Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun 29th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

Posted in wrong one :P

Yeah, it's likely I wont be there, but if you're doing another one soon then I should be able to make that.

It seems like 09:00 is the preferred option - is that okay, folks?

Hi Colin,

9 am start is fine for me. It's possibe (but not definite) I might have a pal (Chris G) coming on the ride. I've kept him informed of the meeting place in Hebden Bridge and start time. He will be travelling over from Haslingden if he can make the ride.

Looking forward to Sunday.

Cheers for now,

Brian

potsy

Rambler
Looks like it's going to be a bit breezy to say the least on Sunday.
Hope nobody is expecting it to be quick!
I have found it tough going these last 2 weeks with the cold/damp/windy conditions, hope the hills are kind.

Edge705

Longridge Fell !! Hmmmm I could meet you all there and ride to waddington and share a cake or 3 thats about 90 minutes from my house what time would you be there for?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Longridge Fell !! Hmmmm I could meet you all there and ride to waddington and share a cake or 3 thats about 90 minutes from my house what time would you be there for?
Very hard to say! We tried to meet Globalti in similar circumstances last year and he managed to get a stop in at Waddington and go home before we got anywhere close ...

Ideally, you'd ride towards us in the opposite direction from Longridge Fell, but you'd have to be careful to follow the route exactly so you didn't slip past us. I'd guess that we would get to Rose Grove about 10:15, be leaving Padiham (by the scenic route to the Old Roman Road) about 10:30 and getting to Spring Wood picnic centre at about 11:00 for a quick pee stop, Whalley at about 11:10, Great Mitton (NB taking the back road by the church!) about 11:20, so I guess that we'd be turning left at the crossroads and heading for Walker Fold, Longridge Fell at about 11:30.

Obviously, punctures or other problems could slow us down. I haven't really factored in the wind and there is a good chance of strong cross/headwinds on the outward ride so we could be significantly down on that schedule. At least the ride back should be quick!

Edge705

Ive got GPS so if you map me a route lets say from Longridge I could get to the meet point a little earlier and wait. looks like you'll be riding into the wind and it will be assisting me as it almost always is riding out from the coast. Ive made a good recovery and I dont have anything planned on Sunday so its a rare opportunity besides Alun at work keeps badgering me to get out with you boys

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've plotted a route from the west side of Longridge to the picnic centre at Spring Wood above Whalley. GPX file *here*. (Let me know if that file is no good for you.)

Note that we will not be riding as far as Longridge itself but will be turning right just after we pass through Walker Fold. The best thing would be for you to get to Longridge for 11:00 and set off towards us. You should get to the turn off point (after 9.5 kms or 5.9 miles) before us but rather than hanging about for potentially quite a long time if we are behind schedule, I suggest that you follow this route as far as the picnic centre car park, if necessary. With luck, we will meet somewhere along the road. If you get there first, let's meet at the picnic centre.

Edge705

I've plotted a route from the west side of Longridge to the picnic centre at Spring Wood above Whalley. GPX file *here*. (Let me know if that file is no good for you.)

Note that we will not be riding as far as Longridge itself but will be turning right just after we pass through Walker Fold. The best thing would be for you to get to Longridge for 11:00 and set off towards us. You should get to the turn off point (after 9.5 kms or 5.9 miles) before us but rather than hanging about for potentially quite a long time if we are behind schedule, I suggest that you follow this route as far as the picnic centre car park, if necessary. With luck, we will meet somewhere along the road. If you get there first, let's meet at the picnic centre.

Hi Col which picnic centre? is it on the road or in whalley can you do us another gps to the picnic centre that way I'll know where to terminate from the fylde coast sorry to be a pain but would be a shame not to ride part of the way with you boys

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Col which picnic centre? is it on the road or in whalley can you do us another gps to the picnic centre
Er ...
I've plotted a route from the west side of Longridge to the picnic centre at Spring Wood above Whalley.
Use the route I supplied - it takes you straight there! :thumbsup:

You ride up the hill out of Whalley and come to a set of traffic lights on the busy A671. The entrance to the Spring Wood picnic centre car park is directly opposite; you can't miss it - Streetview link.

I'll PM you my phone number. I assume that you'll be carrying a phone? If you PM me yours, we can sort out any problems that might occur on Sunday morning. If it looks like we are going to get to Spring Wood later than 11:30 for some reason, I'll text you to give you an ETA. If we get there sooner than planned and you aren't there, I'll text you from Spring Wood to find out where you are and we will set off towards you.

Updated rider list
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • Littgull
  • Pennine-Paul
  • Edge705 (meet up on the way out)
Possibles
  • oldfatfool (subject to weather)
  • I like Skol (family first')
  • Kestevan (get well soon)
  • Steve H (fat chance!)
  • colly (subject to completion of project)
  • aJohnson (not home in time)
NB Meet at the Hebden Bridge car park 08:45 ish, aiming to leave at 09:00 - NOT THE USUAL TIME!!!!

I see that the forecast is now for rain all day and high winds:sad: When will you make a decision on the 'bail out option' Col?

potsy

Rambler
Having just been battered by wind and rain for 20 miles today I am hoping the weather is better Sunday, don't fancy that for 60 miles :rain:
If there looks to be no improvement in the forecast I'll probably wuss out :surrender:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I see that the forecast is now for rain all day and high winds:sad: When will you make a decision on the 'bail out option' Col?
Having just been battered by wind and rain for 20 miles today I am hoping the weather is better Sunday, don't fancy that for 60 miles :rain:
If there looks to be no improvement in the forecast I'll probably wuss out :surrender:
The forecast is for 17 mph headwinds (gusting to 38 mph) on the ride out! I'm sorely tempted to put this ride back a week to Sunday 29th and hope for better conditions. If we do, there is a chance that several riders who couldn't make it this Sunday would be able to join us the following one. Of course, the opposite may also be true.

If we do change the date, but anyone would still like to do a ride this Sunday, we could do one of 30-odd miles instead, if anybody fancied that.

If most of us don't want to battle against the wind, let's postpone. If the majority are up for it, let's give it a go. So - what do you think?

Top Bottom