Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Waddington, Sun 29th January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Ah, no, I can see that that wouldn't go down well!

How about the shorter, hillier ride this Saturday or Sunday then? DCLane - this is your chance to get in for a Saturday ride! If you want to come along, we'll make it Saturday, and if not we'll make it Sunday so oldfatfool can come along.

I'm OK for this Saturday - thanks for including me. It'll be good to meet some more forum people, having been on Colly's October ride.

All I'll need to do is clean/fix up the Ridgeback following last Saturday's two falls :B) from the wind/tiredness.

Alun

Guru
I don't think I'm fit enough at the moment, but hope to join you for a ride soon.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't think I'm fit enough at the moment, but hope to join you for a ride soon.
Alun - you can't be less fit than me at the moment - I weigh nearly 16 stone again, and have only done 1 hour of walking in 7 weeks!

Damn - I forgot your broken leg again! :blush: I assume that the cast is off? How has your recovery been so far?

How about the shorter ride next Saturday? New thread for that ride HERE -any more posts about that one should be in that thread!

This thread should now be for the Waddington ride on the 22nd only!

Edge705

Im happy to meet up at hebden and ride to Waddington with the boys(foots bugge'rd at the mo) so Sunday 22nd better for me god willing. I'll have to bypass the return journey and head home via chipping or scorton back to the fylde coast

potsy

Rambler
I've updated my original post with more details.

Please note that the start time is open to discussion so make your preferences clear - 09:00, 09:30 or 10:00?

It will be nice to see you again! It was this time last year that you rode with us wasn't it?
It was Jan 30th when we saw Hicky
cyclechatters country kitchen cafe jan 30 2011.jpg

Only my second ride with you lads.

I am flexible on time, so whatever the majority decide.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It was Jan 30th when we saw Hicky
Ah yes!

One day CJ I'm gonna get along to one of these rides of yours, but they always fall on the wrong date! The 22nd we're of down to Spalding for work on Monday....weekend previous we're out with the climbing club ....oh well, maybe next time then. Hope the weather stays fine for thee.
How about the mini-Northwest passage from Rochdale on Saturday, 18th February? It looks like a few of us should be doing it.

Im happy to meet up at hebden and ride to Waddington with the boys(foots bugge'rd at the mo) so Sunday 22nd better for me god willing. I'll have to bypass the return journey and head home via chipping or scorton back to the fylde coast
Well, let's hope your foot is okay on the day - it would be nice to meet you! Quite a long ride to get here though, or would someone be dropping you off?

Rights folks - I haven't touched my bike for 7 weeks so it is time for me to stop messing about and to start riding again! A forum ride later in the month will help motivate me to do that.

I want to try and do a metric century a month this year so I have plotted a 106 km (66 mile) route which takes in our usual cafe stop at Country Kitchen in Waddington. I'm aiming to do the ride on Sunday, 22nd January because that gives me 2 weeks to get my legs working again, and a bailout option of the following Sunday if the weather turns out to be awful on the 22nd.

It will on be a flatter route than most of my forum rides. We will spend more time on main roads than usual, but at least they should be ice-free and less demanding on my/our detrained legs!

The route includes a few smaller climbs and long drags but maxes out at an elevation of 240 m so we won't be doing any really big stuff. The worst climb of the day will be that short steep stretch on the Old Roman Road near Read. We will ride out to Burnley on the A646, and use the Padiham Greenway to get into the centre of Padiham. We'll take the scenic route to the Old Roman Road, then continue through Mitton as we usually do, but instead of turning right and going straight to Waddington via Bashall Town, we will turn left and add a little loop below the north side of Longridge Fell, taking us through Walker Fold, Cow Ark and Kitchens and then descending the lower part of Waddington Fell to our cafe stop in the village. After that, we will return to Mitton via Bashall Town, and then return along the same route we took out in the morning.

Usual ride ethos - an easy sociable pace, and lots of chatting, with a relaxed stop at the cafe. Nobody will be left behind but if anyone wants to climb ahead of the slower riders, feel free, just wait at the summits for me and the rest of the rear guard!

You ought to feel fairly sure that you can cope with a moderately 'lumpy' ride of this distance, and carry enough food and drink to get you to the cafe at Waddington after 60 kms (37 miles), though we can call in to refill our bottles at the Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley after 35 kms (22 miles)

It will be slow, slow, slow. Don't come along and complain about it being slow. IT WILL BE SLOW! (We won't be riding quickly ... ;))

Let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge. Map showing car parks.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the Inn on the Bridge on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park in good time because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!
We will probably be coming back at dusk so remember to bring lights.

I was wondering whether we should start this ride an hour earlier than normal because the distance has been upped and it will still be getting dark fairly early - what do you think - 09:00, 10:00 or a compromise 09:30?

Who fancies joining me? :hello:
Hi Colin,

I really enjoyed my first forum ride in November and I'm looking forward to this one. Count me in as a definate. Totally flexible on start time so will go along with majority opinion.

See you all on 22nd Jan.

Brian

Edge705

Ah yes!

How about the mini-Northwest passage from Rochdale on Saturday, 18th February? It looks like a few of us should be doing it.

Well, let's hope your foot is okay on the day - it would be nice to meet you! Quite a long ride to get here though, or would someone be dropping you off?

Thinking about it and given my current predicament I would be better waiting for the mini north west on 18th Feb and driving over - The 22nd is a bit close I rekon I will have quite a bit of work to do on my left leg before its right to tackle a decent hack (My left leg lost an inch in circumference) after a bad accident in 2004 its never been the same and as a result my left calf muscle is pretty weak and has a tendacy to cramp up. Given that this injury I have now affects the left leg I'll need a few weeks to build the calf muscle up again. I work with Alun and he's been pestering me to come on a run for a while so I'll opt for the 18th in all liklelyness cheers

Alun

Guru
Alun - you can't be less fit than me at the moment - I weigh nearly 16 stone again, and have only done 1 hour of walking in 7 weeks!

Damn - I forgot your broken leg again! :blush: I assume that the cast is off? How has your recovery been so far?

How about the shorter ride next Saturday? New thread for that ride HERE -any more posts about that one should be in that thread!

This thread should now be for the Waddington ride on the 22nd only!
My leg's much better now thanks, still a bit swollen and some physio still to do. The problem is the loss of fitness, I did 35 flat miles and my legs were very tired, there was a bit of a headwind on the way home though. It'll be a few weeks yet before I can tackle HB's infamous hills.
Next weekend I'm going on the MTB skills course that I had to postpone because I broke my leg falling off my MTB :smile:.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I really enjoyed my first forum ride in November and I'm looking forward to this one. Count me in as a definate. Totally flexible on start time so will go along with majority opinion.

See you all on 22nd Jan.

Brian

That's good!

Rider list

• ColinJ
  • potsy
  • Littgull
Possibles
  • oldfatfool (subject to weather)
Thinking about it and given my current predicament I would be better waiting for the mini north west on 18th Feb and driving over - The 22nd is a bit close I rekon
I was thinking that myself. Hopefully see you in Rochdale in Feb. then!

My leg's much better now thanks, still a bit swollen and some physio still to do. The problem is the loss of fitness, I did 35 flat miles and my legs were very tired, there was a bit of a headwind on the way home though. It'll be a few weeks yet before I can tackle HB's infamous hills.

Next weekend I'm going on the MTB skills course that I had to postpone because I broke my leg falling off my MTB :smile:.
Well, don't fall off again this time! :thumbsup: See you on another ride soon.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hmmmm.... this has caught my attention (frantically consults family calendar......!).

I will ask the boss when we have a quiet moment together and get back to you. By the way, 9am start would be best for me so I can be back in M/cr at a civil time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmmmm.... this has caught my attention (frantically consults family calendar......!).

I will ask the boss when we have a quiet moment together and get back to you. By the way, 9am start would be best for me so I can be back in M/cr at a civil time.
Well, let's see what everyone else says, but 09:00 would give us more daylight to play with.

If time becomes an issue on the way home, any faster riders (such as yourself) could say goodbye to the slower ones (me, potsy et al) once we get onto the A646 at Rose Grove and then 'put the hammer down'. From there, just stay on the same road to Todmorden and then go straight on to Rochdale and Manchester.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Count me as a definate possible for the 22nd, and a possible possible for the 18th

I'm currently struck down with flu ( this is the first time in 2 days I've been out of bed), so I really need to get some miles in when I recover.

Top Bottom