England : West Yorkshire Forum WALK - Stoodley Pike from Hebden Bridge, now takes place Sun 7th Apr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The snow is not here yet.......lets be optimistic:sun: I will go with the flow on this decision,
I like your spirit, but the forecasts tend to be pretty accurate 2 days before!

Decision tomorrow afternoon.

Svendo

Guru
If you go ahead have a good time. I'm off to Chester to meet my sister up from London and spend the day decluttering my aged Mother (snow allowing!). If you do reschedule for two weeks I hope to be able to make it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If you go ahead have a good time. I'm off to Chester to meet my sister up from London and spend the day decluttering my aged Mother (snow allowing!). If you do reschedule for two weeks I hope to be able to make it.
Have fun!

I think there will be a walk in 2 weeks time. It is just a question of whether it is as well as or instead of the Stoodley Pike walk!

All being well (see my GWS thread!), I will be back on my bike after that and slowly building up my strength again. Having said that - a forum walk every now and then would be a fun alternative to forum rides.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ill check back this afternoon. At the moment it s snowing hard and drifting up here. A fortnight delay would be understandable.

PaulB

Legendary Member
True! :eek:

How would y'all feel if I put this walk back by 2 weeks and hope for better weather? :whistle:

(Next weekend is Easter so that wouldn't be a good bet.)

Conditions are probably going to be freezing, with snow and ice on the ground. Also - visibility is forecast to be very poor so we wouldn't even get the views.

As I posted above - if anybody really wants to do this Saturday despite the conditions, I'll give it a go!
This would be better for me. Just looking out the window and seeing the forecast, it's not looking promising for me to be able to actually get there tomorrow. I don't know what it's like in Tod or HB but I can't get the car off the drive here in Colne and my wife's stuck indoors as well and she's on call and getting frantic phone calls from staff members telling her they can't get to their work places all over Lancashire.
I would have no fears for the actual walk, it's the getting over Widdop that presents me with the problem. We've had ten months of the most miserable depressing weather it's possible to have!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Now let's be sensible about this ... :thumbsup:

I've just seen the overnight forecast and it is for up to 40 cm of snow on the hills (16 inches!) so the walk is officially ...

POSTPONED! :laugh:

It's pretty grim here today and it is not supposed to get better over night. The walk is supposed to be a treat for me after months of being cooped up with illness but I am still not up to a good level of fitness, my lungs aren't great and sitting on frozen dry stone walls every 20 minutes in a blizzard to get my breath back doesn't appeal!

I hope the postponement doesn't disappoint any of you. I imagine that most of you are like me would rather do the walk in better conditions!

Those of you on the list - please post below to say that you have read this message and will not be turning up tomorrow!

Unless there are objections, I'll make the new date SUNDAY, 7th April. I could make it Sat, 6th but a couple of people have said they might make it if it is a Sunday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

For those of you who haven't had snow, this is why I postponed the walk ...

car_park_in_snow.jpg

river_and_snow.jpg

I just saw on the news that a young man was found dead in deep snow over in Burnley, about 15 miles from here (RIP) so I am sure that we did the right thing.

Whereas this was the weather back on the 19th February on a walk I did with Slower Than A Sluggish Sloth ...

hebden-bridge-from-heptonstall-bridleway.jpg

:wacko:

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
roll on 2 weeks time, I have been hibernating today and a bit like a caged animal! probably the best place to be it has been gridlock on the cul-de-sac where I live. Fun and games watching people in their cars not getting anywhere fast.....Took a few video shots of mayhem on the street.......

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

roll on 2 weeks time, I have been hibernating today and a bit like a caged animal! probably the best place to be it has been gridlock on the cul-de-sac where I live. Fun and games watching people in their cars not getting anywhere fast.....Took a few video shots of mayhem on the street.......
Fingers crossed for the weather in my 3rd photograph! :thumbsup:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, this is what it was like up on the tops this morning. Pleasant enough, but eh wind was biting cold, the snow drifting hard, and the walk back was into the wind so a bleak and painful couple of miles back home. Still loads of fun diving into the drifts, and the snowcave was brill.
Home
Snowcave019.jpg

Scape High Street looking down over the houses to Linthwaite
Snowcave031.jpg

Halifax Old Road, Scape
Snowcave044.jpg

Drift Dive
Snowcave053.jpg

Snowcave054.jpg

Big Drifts
Snowcave074.jpg

Hotdog