England : West Yorkshire Forum WALK - Stoodley Pike from Hebden Bridge, now takes place Sun 7th Apr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What time are you meeting Col? If I come over on the bike will it be possible to leave it secure at yours, and change from cycling to walking gear?
This would suit me too....I hate the thought of coming over in the car.
I've PMd you both.

A reminder - we meet at the car park (say) 09:50ish, and set off at 10:00ish.

Confirmed Stoodley Strollers:
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • bicyclos
  • bromptonfb
  • oldfatfool
Maybes:
  • Globalti
  • Cubist
  • Arch and Night Train
The forecast is looking pretty good (by recent standards!) - cool, dry, with a moderate breeze and enough visibility to take a few photos of the views.

Come and join us!

PS Don't forget the torches for the Stoodley Pike spiral staircase.

potsy

Rambler
Just finised training walk No 3, 4.3 miles in 1 hour 9 minutes :training:

Think I need a hip replacement, the cycling is much easier :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just finised training walk No 3, 4.3 miles in 1 hour 9 minutes :training:

Think I need a hip replacement, the cycling is much easier :thumbsup:
3.74 mph - that's not bad! I always think that 4 mph is a good brisk walking pace on the flat. (I can walk quicker, but it feels like I'm rushing.)

I've had a think about my original route. It pretty much went uphill from the start without a warm-up and we were going to come back by a very similar route in reverse.

I decided that I'd prefer a warm-up and a bit more variety so I've modified the route to give us an easy 1.5 miles along the Rochdale canal towpath before we start to go up the hillside, and we will now go out and come back by different routes. The price we pay is about an extra mile or 20 minutes of walking.

The new profile:

stoodley_pike_profle2.gif

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Latest forecast for Sunday:

4 degrees when we start our walk, but warming to a balmy (or should that be barmy!) 8 degrees later on. Other good news - the recent horrible E/NE wind should swing round to a much more bearable SSW and lessen in strength. Visibility good for photographs, but not a lot of sunshine - sorry!

Any decisions yet on whether you will be joining us - Globalti, Cubist, Arch & Night Train (or anyone else who fancies the walk)?

Arch

Married to Night Train
We're officially opting out, sorry. Sounds wimpy, but it'd mean an early start, plus I've not got decent boots, but have got creaky knees etc etc excuses excuses.

Hope you all have a nice time!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

We're officially opting out, sorry. Sounds wimpy, but it'd mean an early start, plus I've not got decent boots, but have got creaky knees etc etc excuses excuses.
I'll try and tempt you and NT to come out on the second forum walk in a few weeks time. I could make the next one a later start and/or a Saturday if that would help, but I can't do much about those knees! :laugh:

Globalti is on family duties, and there is no word from Cubist so it looks like 5 of us for the walk, unless somebody makes an unannounced appearance.

I have everybody's mobile number except that of bicyclos - if you want to swap numbers bicyclos, PM yours to me and I'll text you so you have mine.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Most of the snow had gone by this afternoon. Here's a view from Heptonstall.

stoodley_pike_snow.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Chilly, but sunny at the moment - a huge contrast to 2 weeks ago when snow drifts and freezing conditions forced us to postpone this walk!

I think it might cloud over later, but it is a good start to the day. Photos to follow, this evening!

Cubist

Still wavin'
I shall look forward to the pics and report this evening. Right now our plans are to put the children of Baildon to the sword.

(In the nicest possible U15s Rugby sort of way of course...)

potsy

Rambler
Home now, very enjoyable day out, good to see Colin doing so well in his recovery and to catch up with bromptonfb & oldfatfool, and have another forummer to add to my list in bicyclos :hello:
8.9 miles in some tricky conditions underfoot, almost knee deep a few times.

Will put a few pics up later once they have been heavily photo-shopped ;)

Top Bottom