England : West Yorkshire Forum WALK - Stoodley Pike from Hebden Bridge, now takes place Sun 7th Apr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
All my other photos are too large (file size) to upload. I'll get 'em onto Flickr and sort it out tomorrow. Nice to meet you too Bicyclos, you didn't come across as being nervous.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Looks like I really missed a good day out. :sad:. I shall check the diary for 4th May, but I have a horrible feeling I'm helping to organise a Sevens tournament. :sad:
The reason that the next walk is going to be a Saturday is because it starts with a bus journey and the first bus on a Sunday is 12:10 which I think is a bit late. A moderate walk from Hebden Bridge only let's us get about 4 miles away before we have to turn round and come back. By going out on the bus, we can get further afield and then walk a longer return leg.

I have a route in mind. It would be about 8 miles, but could be extended to 9-10 miles by changing the last part of the walk to one of several alternatives.

(You'll be pleased to hear we thrashed Baildon, and Cubester was on fine form.)
:bravo:

If you can do a walk like that Colin, isn't it time to get out on the bike, even if only to Tod and back?
Time to get back on the bike Colinj and stop being a big Jessi...:smile:
ColinJ, time to get on the bike even if it's only a towpath run to Sowerby Bridge/Elland.
I wonder if it is time to get back on my bike ...? :whistle:

It nearly is! I'm going to give myself another couple of weeks on the gym bike doing 5-15 minutes several times a day, then try doing 30 minutes in one go and see how I get on. If am okay with that, I'll try an hour. Once I can do an hour, I think that will be when I'll go out and ride again.

I'm feeling pretty tired this evening after the walk and am going to treat myself to an early night - by my standards, that is. I want to get up early to watch the highlights of Paris-Roubaix on Eurosport.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Messed about with bfb's picture ...

ColinJ_Stoodley_Pike.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You look just like your avatar again now Colin :whistle:
Well, my face is getting there, but my body isn't - yet! I always gain fat on my waist first, then the rest of my body, then my face, and it comes off in the reverse order.

Well done ColinJ, I'm sure I speak for many on CC when I say, good to see you out and about.:smile:
Cheers. The second half of last year was pretty grim, but you lot on CC helped to keep my spirits up! :hello:

I'm hoping that my heart and lungs haven't suffered any significant permanent damage. I know that the circulation in my left leg is probably permanently affected, but with luck it won't have too much impact on my cycling. I can already do pretty much whatever I want to do on foot now which I am amazed and chuffed about.

Keith Oates

Janner
It looks as if you all had a good hard walk and as others have said it's good to see you there looking in such good form, Colin. The bike riding must be fairly close now and then you will no doubt be really happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A follow-up to the original postponement of the walk ...

I was chatting to a local pal this evening and he told me that he walked to Stoodley Pike at the time that we were originally due to go up there. He was wearing heavy duty winter walking gear but said that he still got very cold at times.

He encountered snowdrifts which he estimated at over 4 metres deep in places.

At one point a gust of wind was so strong that it got up inside his jacket, inflated it like a balloon and lifted him off the ground. He also nearly got blown off the edge of the hillside and had to crawl part of the way having been blown off his feet several times! :eek:

He had to take shelter from the Siberian blast, so he dived over a dry stone wall and found himself sitting in the middle of a flock of shivering sheep that'd had the same idea!

Coming back down by a different route, he was sinking so deep into the snow that he took to rolling over its surface, and then developed a swimming motion to drag himself along.

All in all - I think our 2 week delay was A Good Idea! :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PS Don't forget to sign up for the second forum walk - click here for details!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
A follow-up to the original postponement of the walk ...

I was chatting to a local pal this evening and he told me that he walked to Stoodley Pike at the time that we were originally due to go up there. He was wearing heavy duty winter walking gear but said that he still got very cold at times.

He encountered snowdrifts which he estimated at over 4 metres deep in places.

At one point a gust of wind was so strong that it got up inside his jacket, inflated it like a balloon and lifted him off the ground. He also nearly got blown off the edge of the hillside and had to crawl part of the way having been blown off his feet several times! :eek:

He had to take shelter from the Siberian blast, so he dived over a dry stone wall and found himself sitting in the middle of a flock of shivering sheep that'd had the same idea!

Coming back down by a different route, he was sinking so deep into the snow that he took to rolling over its surface, and then developed a swimming motion to drag himself along.

All in all - I think our 2 week delay was A Good Idea! :laugh:

You know the rules, Colin: photos, or it didn't happen. :laugh:

Only kidding - weather was a trifle inclement that weekend, and I can picture events vividly from your description, even second-hand.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You know the rules, Colin: photos, or it didn't happen. :laugh:

Only kidding - weather was a trifle inclement that weekend, and I can picture events vividly from your description, even second-hand.
He had some pictures on his phone which he'd taken the next day. It looked pretty impressive up on the hilltops, more reminiscent of his winter climbing trips to the Highlands.

He had decided to get his skis out and have some fun skiing down the middle of some of his local hilly lanes which were completely blocked to traffic. Eventually, he worked up a thirst so he skiied down to his local pub in which a few hardy regulars were gathered in front of a roaring log fire. When he walked in looking like the abominable snowman, a hush fell upon the pub. He lifted his ski goggles, smiled and said ...

"Nice weather, isn't it!" :laugh:

potsy

Rambler
Thread resurrection!!

Was thinking about this walk just yesterday, mainly as I fancy getting back into doing some more walks.

Any chance of a repeat once we are out of these current restrictions?

Would be good to meet up again.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thread resurrection!!

Was thinking about this walk just yesterday, mainly as I fancy getting back into doing some more walks.

Any chance of a repeat once we are out of these current restrictions?

Would be good to meet up again.
Now there's a coincidence... I was looking at some of the photos the other day and thinking that it would be good to do it again!

So, definitely 'yes' but I think it would be next spring at the earliest, or maybe even the summer if they don't get to grips with the pandemic one way or another.

I was also thinking of repeating my idea of a 2 x 50 km forum ride. One 50 km loop for those who want a short ride, a cafe stop, farewells to the one-loopers, then the rest go off and do a harder second loop.

potsy

Rambler
So, definitely 'yes' but I think it would be next spring at the earliest, or maybe even the summer if they don't get to grips with the pandemic one way or another.
That would be great, and it will give me time to get some practice in, not really in shape for it currently anyway :whistle:

Top Bottom