England : West Yorkshire Forum WALK - Stoodley Pike from Hebden Bridge, now takes place Sun 7th Apr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Well I am getting some practice in before the Spring/Summer.

8+ miles today along with a few slightly shorter walks in recent weeks.

Just need to lose a couple more stone to be back to my previous best :whistle:

Possible to start a new thread on any planned future event so that it gets generally noticed?

(the initial post could have a link back to here)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We were taught about trig points in geography at school, including a trudge up the Worcestershire Beacon to see one.

Very unusual for grammar school boys to get out of the classroom in those days.

It was all talk and chalk.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Very unusual for grammar school boys to get out of the classroom in those days.

It was all talk and chalk.
Very true in my case - I can only remember once in 7 years! We were studying Romeo and Juliet for English Lit. and we went to watch that.

Actually, I'm not sure that we DID watch the play at a theatre after all... :whistle: The school had a projector and used to hire films. I think we probably watched the 1968 Zeffirelli film. PS Yes, we did - I developed a huge teenage crush on Olivia Hussey (Juliet), or 'Brazen Huss(e)y' as I nicknamed her at the time! :blush:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was another trip I now recall - an open air Shakespeare at Ludlow Castle.

The tale there is it started to rain, and a shear dress worn by Gayle Hunicutt became close to see through, causing much excitement among us bunch of pre-pubescent teenagers.

The production also starred Bernard Bresslaw, who I bumped into about 20 years later in a pub in theatreland.

I mentioned Hunicutt's dress, which he remembered well.

He said the cast asked her to consider changing it at the interval.

She said a change might confuse the audience, so she insisted on continuing with the wet dress.

The show, as these actor types say, must go on.

Very true in my case - I can only remember once in 7 years! We were studying Romeo and Juliet for English Lit. and we went to watch that.

Actually, I'm not sure that we DID watch the play at a theatre after all... :whistle: The school had a projector and used to hire films. I think we probably watched the 1968 Zeffirelli film. PS Yes, we did - I developed a huge teenage crush on Olivia Hussey (Juliet), or 'Brazen Huss(e)y' as I nicknamed her at the time! :blush:
They did let us out of the cage a few times.
Class bus trip to Lancaster to see the Lord of the Flies film which we were reading for O level.
Walk just over the road for most of the school to the cinema run by two old dears to see:
Waterloo
Tora Tora Tora
Cromwell

As they were considered educational, though there are few films I would trust to learn about history.

Bizarrely, the school always side-stepped the most interesting history that could have brought the often drily-taught subject to life - in it's very foundations - it was founded by Protestant burning Bloody Mary. I guess they worried that the lessons might get a bit fraught. Cowards.

I think we need a grammar school boys (and girls) thread

There were a few other trips in truth. Halle Orchestra at the Free Trade Hall, the odd bit of shakespeare, government lectures at UMIST in manchester.

The production also starred Bernard Bresslaw, who I bumped into about 20 years later in a pub in theatreland.

I mentioned Hunicutt's dress, which he remembered well.
Cripes - talk about a small world - clearly a formative experience for you both - am off to trawl google for a pic.

Closest our boys grammar school got to that was a cricket match between our school and a girl's school - still no idea what their school was - seem to remember that the girls walked out in fairly short skirts.

I have never had any interest in cricket though.

Top Bottom