Forum WALK - Todmorden to Stoodley Pike (plus optional second hill) - Sat, 22nd May, 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Right, I'm throwing my hat into the ring.

Me and Mrs. B used to regularly drive to Hebden Bridge on a Sunday and if the train was MORE than ten minutes away, we'd walk to Tod on either the high, medium or low route (depending on clarity) and when we got there, get the choo choo back. If the train was LESS than ten minutes away, we'd catch it to Tod and walk back on one of the above routes, again depending on the amount of visibility.

Our favourite version of that was walking TO Tod over Stoodley Pike and stopping off at the Top Brinks en-route.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Right, I'm throwing my hat into the ring.
Great! Solo, or plus Mrs. B?

I'll see how everyone is getting here. If you are all driving over then it doesn't make sense to meet at the station. We could all meet at a car park instead.

I spotted an alternative route up from town at the back of the health centre. I think I'll stick to my original route but I'll probably go and check out this new one anyway because I have never been up that way before.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

We won't do it this time but a nice easy alternative route to Stoodley Pike is to catch the Huddersfield mini-bus from Hebden Bridge (900/90). That takes you up through Cragg Vale as far as Blackstone Edge reservoir at the A58. The bus heads left there but if you get out at the top and turn right towards the White House pub you can pick up the Pennine Way as it heads north. That is a nice flat walk to the monument, and is followed by a descent to Hebden Bridge.

Another alternative is to catch the train from Todmorden to Littleborough and walk up to the Pennine Way via Lydgate and the Roman Road. Proceed along the Pennine Way to the Pike, then turn round and walk back to Tod in the opposite direction to the way that we will be setting off on this walk.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Great! Solo, or plus Mrs. B?

I'll see how everyone is getting here. If you are all driving over then it doesn't make sense to meet at the station. We could all meet at a car park instead.

I spotted an alternative route up from town at the back of the health centre. I think I'll stick to my original route but I'll probably go and check out this new one anyway because I have never been up that way before.
She says she'll join us but I doubt it!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@Julia9054 and @PaulB, you may not have noticed me mention this elsewhere on the forum, but being musicians, you may be interested...?

Vision Direct are running a competition with a prize of £10,000. You have to compose and record a demo version of a new advertising jingle for them, and get it to them by 17th May (HURRY!).

You can make up to 4 entries. Each one has to be shorter than 30 seconds and mention 'Vision Direct' by name. The jingles must be your own work so you can transfer all rights to them for their use. Full details HERE.

I think it is an interesting challenge so I am going to see if I can compose something suitable. Maybe you'd like to have a go too? May the best jingle win! :laugh:

Julia9054

Guru
@Julia9054 and @PaulB, you may not have noticed me mention this elsewhere on the forum, but being musicians, you may be interested...?

Vision Direct are running a competition with a prize of £10,000. You have to compose and record a demo version of a new advertising jingle for them, and get it to them by 17th May (HURRY!).

You can make up to 4 entries. Each one has to be shorter than 30 seconds and mention 'Vision Direct' by name. The jingles must be your own work so you can transfer all rights to them for their use. Full details HERE.

I think it is an interesting challenge so I am going to see if I can compose something suitable. Maybe you'd like to have a go too? May the best jingle win! :laugh:
Sadly, I don't have an original musical thought in my head but I have passed it onto my boys.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sadly, I don't have an original musical thought in my head but I have passed it onto my boys.
I have the opposite problem - lots of ideas, but very little musical ability! :okay:

I have updated the first post with full details of the walk. (I could add GPX files later if anybody wants them?) Forget Wetherspoons - it is crammed every day now!

potsy

Rambler
I vote for the full version if everyone else is OK with it.
Will park on the car park and put some cash into the community :okay:
You may need to come find me Colin, the chances of me finding you are very slim ^_^

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I vote for the full version if everyone else is OK with it.
Will park on the car park and put some cash into the community :okay:
You may need to come find me Colin, the chances of me finding you are very slim ^_^
Just look out for a tallish slightly chubby grey-haired old man who looks a bit like the me that you remember from 2014! :cry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Actually, I was slightly incorrect when I posted that there is 'nowhere' to buy supplies from... A very minor detour from our route at Lumbutts would take us to the Top Brink pub mentioned by PaulB above, but that is very early in the walk so I wouldn't be in favour of a detour to that.

I agree that it would be a nice place to stop on a walk over to Todmorden from Hebden Bridge.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Vision Direct have just extended the deadline by a week - closing date is now the 24th.

There is mention of a recording session at Abbey Road studios but they don't really explain that. I had assumed that they would get pros to rerecord the winning jingle, but perhaps the winners get to do it themselves!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just back from a 13 mile warm up walk for this, ready as I'll ever be!
I think my legs will pack up even after this shorter walk! :laugh:

I hope that we get some decent weather for it but I have a horrible feeling that we are not going to see a lot of that up here this year... I might have to dig out my waterproof overtrousers. I think I only ever wore them once or twice because I usually avoid walking in the rain.

I can't remember many times when my mid-morning room temperature without any heating on was only at 13 degrees in mid-May!

PaulB

Legendary Member

Accusing me of being a musician is a bit much! I have a few instruments would be more accurate but thanks for the heads-up on that.

And it's a very good job you hadn't suggested yesterday as our day for the walk. The deluge we had was scary at one point. You could shelter in the tower I suppose but would then be faced with a soggy descent. I hope next weekend brings us better, dryer and sunnier weather.

potsy

Rambler
I think my legs will pack up even after this shorter walk! :laugh:

I hope that we get some decent weather for it but I have a horrible feeling that we are not going to see a lot of that up here this year... I might have to dig out my waterproof overtrousers. I think I only ever wore them once or twice because I usually avoid walking in the rain.

I can't remember many times when my mid-morning room temperature without any heating on was only at 13 degrees in mid-May!
Early forecast...

Top Bottom