Forum WALK - Todmorden to Stoodley Pike (plus optional second hill) - Sat, 22nd May, 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here's the book we based our jaunts from HB to Tod and vice-versa. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43683583-there-and-back-with-geoff-boswell
I'll have to play about with the Good Reads app later!

I just found some amazing drone footage taken around and above the Pike...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My pal Carrie may join us, and if she does she may bring her dog (Buster) with her. He was superfit as a young dog, for example doing multiple 25-30+ mile hilly runs with us on one mountain bike holiday in Scotland. That was years ago though - now he is effectively a chubby doggy OAP and may not be up for the Full Monty. If he comes along and starts to struggle, they could go back along the canal towpath when we head up the second hill.

PS Anybody referring to me as effectively a chubby non-doggy OAP doesn't get offered any of my spare treats! (I will have at least half a pack of shortbread and half a box of oats and honey cereal bars more than I'll need.) :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll stick the route on my phone, although I reckon I could walk most of it from memory.

I was given a Garmin Edge 200 a couple of months ago. I hope to use that on my bike in future, but I have never tried navigating with it. I think I'll load the GPX file onto that too and test it on the walk.

I have phone numbers for @potsy (ends in ***426), @Julia9054 (ends in ***049) and @PaulB (ends in ***657). My number ends in ***978. If any of you have changed your number, PM me the new one if you would like a text message from me in case of a problem (or text me if you still have mine).

If anybody decides not to come, please text me or post below so we don't hang about waiting for you.

IF ANYBODY DECIDES TO COME ALONG UNANNOUNCED, MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET TO THE MEETING PLACE BY 09:45 SO YOU DON'T MISS US!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Right, my missis says she is definitely coming now, if nobody minds.
That's good. I'm sure that everyone will be happy to meet her.

I haven't heard back from Carrie so I suspect that she will be a 'no show'. I reckon that she will probably take advantage of the forecast dry conditions to go for a long bike ride instead.

Colin, that number is no longer mine. I'll send you my current one.
If you don't have mine, just PM it to me and I'll replace the old number.

It looks like we won't see much sunshine, but it ought to be dry most or all of the day. There will be a chilly wind on the tops though.

I have made some minor alterations at the end of the route. I won't bother redoing the map. We can do a quick detour to Lidl at the end if anybody wants to use the toilets there (or buy anything) before heading home.

In case anybody would like copies of my route files, I have attached them below.

Attachments

• From Pike via Cross Stone.gpx
    3.9 KB · Views: 4
  • From Pike via Great Rock.gpx
    4.9 KB · Views: 5
  • To Pike.gpx
    5.2 KB · Views: 5

PaulB

Legendary Member
So, forgive me asking, but what time are we meeting up - and where? I know this info may be spelled out to us earlier in the thread but I can't find it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

So, forgive me asking, but what time are we meeting up - and where? I know this info may be spelled out to us earlier in the thread but I can't find it.
I reckon you are one of those 'better to ask, than to read' fellas! :okay:

It is a quarter of the way down the first post in the thread...

Meet at these benches on the Halifax Rd in the centre of Todmorden at about 09:50, and aiming to set off at 10:00.

benches-at-start-of-walk-jpg.jpg
That is on the Halifax Road, a couple of hundred metres towards Hebden Bridge from the mini-roundabout in the centre of Tod.

potsy

Rambler
I was going to ask this earlier as I know Colin likes it so much when someone inevitably does ^_^
It used to be Bromptonfb or whatever he was calling himself then...

Top Bottom