Forum WALK - Todmorden to Stoodley Pike (plus optional second hill) - Sat, 22nd May, 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was going to ask this earlier as I know Colin likes it so much when someone inevitably does ^_^
It used to be Bromptonfb or whatever he was calling himself then...
I do remember getting grumpy in one ride thread but that was after 3 or 4 people had done the same thing one after another! :okay:

[Hang on, phone ringing...]

You are NOT going to believe this - my friend Carrie just rang to ask me... what time we are meeting, and where! :laugh:

It sounds like there is a good chance that she WILL be joining us, in which case we will have almost a 50-50 male-female ratio for a change.

I will check in here again at around 09:00 to see if there are any latecomers.

See y'all in the morning.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I reckon you are one of those 'better to ask, than to read' fellas! :okay:

It is a quarter of the way down the first post in the thread...

That is on the Halifax Road, a couple of hundred metres towards Hebden Bridge from the mini-roundabout in the centre of Tod.
Yup, I know exactly where that is and that time suits us both so, all being well, we'll see you all there then.

Julia9054

Guru
A grand day out. Thank @ColinJ for organising

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, we had a good walk together!

Early spots of rain made us think that we might have got unlucky with the weather but it stayed dry for almost the entire walk, and we got a few nice sunny spells as well. It was a bit chilly in the wind hanging around up at Stoodley Pike but a comfortable temperature when walking.

Paul and Mrs B headed back along the canal towpath once we had descended to the valley. The rest of us decided to accompany them as far as Shaw Wood Rd, then go off on the shorter of the two hilly return options. That included footpaths that I hadn't done before, from Pex Tenements to Cross Stone Rd, and from Cross Stone Rd to Priestwell.

We had a natter in the car park back in Tod before saying our farewells.

Walkers (L-R): Carrie, Buster, Potsy, MrsB (ignoring the camera), PaulB, Julia, Al

Ascent to Stoodley Pike on old packhorse trail

Harvelin Park immediately below, Todmorden in the distance

Looking towards Hebden Bridge from Stoodley Pike platform

potsy

Rambler

PaulB

Legendary Member
Thanks to all of you for a great day out yesterday. A bit of a shame I had to pull out before the end but I was glad I did this morning with my hip - which I've had a problem with most of this year - aching like I've banged it into a rock. I was fortunate to have medical back-up with me and her treatment consisted of instructing me to man up and stop moaning about it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

So how were the legs the day after?
My legs were still sore this morning!

It is definitely true that different activities stress the muscles different ways because I nipped out on my singlespeed bike earlier and had no problems at all. I hobbled over to the bike, but once I mounted and started riding, I was fine. The interesting thing is that having done the ride and had a shower afterwards, my legs now feel really good. I can only think that the muscles needed to be stretched again to get the tension out of them.

Well done on the MTB ride. Depending on the terrain, I used to rate MTB routes as being equivalent to 1.25 (e.g. towpaths) - 3.0 ('rocky and/or rutted') x the distance on the road.

Top Bottom